Mountain Project Logo

La Sportiva TXS GTX? Anyone tried them?

Original Post
TM2 · · North Carolina · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

Has anyone tried the new La Sportiva TXS GTX? I’m very interested in a lighter boot with serious ankle support plus approach shoe rubber soles.  Does it live up to the press?

Anybody?

Long Ranger · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 669

I've only seen them at OR. I honestly don't want a high top TX, and certainlly not with GTX. I was more interesting in the TX Guide, which looks more like a running shoe, but it also looks to be pretty damn narrow in the forefoot, so may not be of much use to me personally.

Rexford Nesakwatch · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

I haven't tried them but I am very interested because I want a GTX and stiffer high ("mid") top TX4. So I really want someone to compare:
TX4 mid GTX
TX5 mid GTX
TXS GTX
TX Top GTX (the one I am most interested in but not available in the US yet?):

https://www.exxpozed.com/la-sportiva-m-tx-top-gtx?gclid=Cj0KCQiAqNPyBRCjARIsAKA-WFzMM85yN0jIVZDsRRIH8Sat6oXRvTBIPz6Doy6p5BtfZXd6f43wqI0aAvpaEALw_wcB#!?variant=1191746

Wow Sportiva you make us dizzy with your offerings...

Yeah, I wouldn't think that all the TX variants will make it over State-side.

Roger Soles · · Seattle, WA · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0
TM2 wrote: Anybody?

Did you ever find anymore info... I am also interested in the TX Top GTX and wondering if the TXS might work instead since its not available stateside. My feet like the TX series.

RandyLee · · On the road · Joined May 2016 · Points: 246

Not the TXS, but I've been wearing the TX Guides lately, I've climbed mid 5.10 choss and gone for a 10-mile run in them, I'm pretty happy and plan for them to basically my everything shoe. They are narrower than I expected, even for La Sportiva. I appreciate the lugged soles for hiking, and the stiff sole for climbing - they certainly climb better than the TX5s. The soles remind me more of the 5.10 guide tennies stiffness, though it has been a while since I've worn those. They're somewhat water resistant, maybe good for stepping in a puddle - I poured water on them and got a solid 3 count before I felt wet, but I haven't really beaten them up yet, I think they'll be less water resistant soon.  I'm in a mining camp right now (well, quarantining for 2 weeks before we can go in), then my every day shoes will either be the Trango Tech Leather GTX or the TX Guides, so I'll be able to give a decent review on either later.

All of the TX series seem less like they can take a beating than I would like. Dear La Sportiva - give us shoe laces that will take a beating, or that will last longer. The ones you use are crap. 

Matthew Jaggers · · Red River Gorge · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 695

I'm interested in this boot too. I've been wearing the Trango Trk for about 3 years and really like them. They have taken a beat down and are still useable. They never were fully waterproof if submerged, but I never hesitated walking through puddles and small stream crossing. My favorite part is the fact they're so light weight, with extreme durability. Anyone out there able to compare the Trango Trk and the TXS GTX?

I have nothing useful to add except the TXS is currently 25% off at REI.

https://www.rei.com/product/165427/la-sportiva-txs-gtx-hiking-boots-mens

I ordered a pair but they are still in transit to the curb of my local store.

I have been wearing the TXS around the house for one day so can give a few initial impressions. I originally ordered in my street shoe size (9.5/42.5) but they were too snug for what I want for long approaches so I ordered 1/2 size up (43) and they fit great.

I have the TX2s in 43.5
TX3 in 42.5
TX4 in 43 (with boot board/stiffener added below the footbed
and these shoes all fit similarly (except the 4s without the boot board would be a little sloppy).

Back to the TXS - they have the same last as the TX3/4 but the lacing over the forefoot is more traditional for a hiking boots (doesn't taper as much) which I like but also doesn't extend as low towards the toe.

TX4 on left, TXS on right.

I never liked the way the laces on the TX2, 3, 4 are threaded through the tiny cord that wraps around ankle and becomes the pull on loop. The TXS have similar pull on loop, but a more traditional fast hook lace setup for the top two loops.

The TXS has deeper lugs on the sole and a stiffer sole than the TX4, so it will probably be much better on snow and muddy slopes.

The TXS is definitely more of a lightweight hiker than approach shoe (which is what I was looking for). Not as stiff as a 3/4 shank boot like the Salewa Rapace, but much stiffer than the TX4s.

And, of course, the TXS is all synthetic and Goretex.

Maybe the only thing that concerns me right of the box, is the TXS feels stiffer and less padded on my heel (probably due to a stiffer rubber rand wrapping the back vs the softer rubber on the approach shoes) but the high top is well padded so I think they be comfy after a little break-in.

Very positive initial impressions, time will tell.

Bonus input as writing this made me realize what a shoe whore I am - the TX3s are the sweet spot in the TX2 to 4 family.
Phil Powell · · Burley In Wharfedale, West… · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

May be a strange question but, is the TXS just the TX5 or am I missing something 

Phil Powell wrote: May be a strange question but, is the TXS just the TX5 or am I missing something 

I wondered the same thing. The TXS is cheaper and all synthetic, whereas the TX5 is nubuck leather. I think the 5 is now discontinued. 

Chris K · · Clemson, SC · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 136
RandyLee wrote: Not the TXS, but I've been wearing the TX Guides lately, I've climbed mid 5.10 choss and gone for a 10-mile run in them, I'm pretty happy and plan for them to basically my everything shoe. They are narrower than I expected, even for La Sportiva. I appreciate the lugged soles for hiking, and the stiff sole for climbing - they certainly climb better than the TX5s. The soles remind me more of the 5.10 guide tennies stiffness, though it has been a while since I've worn those. They're somewhat water resistant, maybe good for stepping in a puddle - I poured water on them and got a solid 3 count before I felt wet, but I haven't really beaten them up yet, I think they'll be less water resistant soon.  I'm in a mining camp right now (well, quarantining for 2 weeks before we can go in), then my every day shoes will either be the Trango Tech Leather GTX or the TX Guides, so I'll be able to give a decent review on either later.

All of the TX series seem less like they can take a beating than I would like. Dear La Sportiva - give us shoe laces that will take a beating, or that will last longer. The ones you use are crap. 

Once my laces wear out on TX's, I replace them with coreless paracord. Works really well. 

Phil Powell · · Burley In Wharfedale, West… · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0
Rexford Nesakwatch wrote:

I wondered the same thing. The TXS is cheaper and all synthetic, whereas the TX5 is nubuck leather. I think the 5 is now discontinued. 

Cheers for that. I wondered what the difference was. I prefer the boulder mid out of the others. I find them comfier than the tx5’s and 4’s

Chris K wrote:

Once my laces wear out on TX's, I replace them with coreless paracord. Works really well. 

I do this with most all my La Sportivas. Models that use a loop of webbing using can take that thick of cord; metal eyelets maybe not.

But even a dress show lace (as long as its long enough) is stronger than the laces that come standard on most la sportiva models.

Rexford Nesakwatch wrote: The TXS has deeper lugs on the sole and a stiffer sole than the TX4, so it will probably be much better on snow and muddy slopes.
The TXS is definitely more of a lightweight hiker than approach shoe (which is what I was looking for). Not as stiff as a 3/4 shank boot like the Salewa Rapace, but much stiffer than the TX4s.

How is the ankle support?  More than the TX4 mids?  I'm thinking of replacing some Zamberlan Vioz 996 with a lighter boot that has sticky(er) rubber on it.  My issue is that I frequently roll my ankles any time I've got a rope plus trad gear equivalent weights in a pack unless I'm wearing a boot that provides more stability.  If the TXS has a stiffer sole and a higher ankle with less cut-away than the TX4 mid, it might be just the thing.

I can't compare the ankle support to the TX4 mids because I have never tried those shoes. The ankle support on the TXS is relatively minimal, most thin foam and mesh.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "La Sportiva TXS GTX? Anyone tried them?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started