COVID-19: At REI, we encourage you to get outside responsibly. Stay local, avoid recreational travel, practice social distancing and check ahead for area and facility closures. Learn More
Mountain Project Logo

New and Experienced Climbers Over 50 #10

phylp phylp · · Upland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 1,082
Garry R wrote: I've tried the Stoh's and the Bacardi. Both are thoroughly undrinkable!

Back in my 20s I worked at a big steakhouse restaurant with a large, young staff. After hours on Saturday nights, we would all gather in the bar and drink and party. I recall doing shots of 151 rum. Not so bad, Garry. Does get you completely blotto though. In retrospect, please don’t do this, young people!

Dallas R · · Traveling the USA · Joined May 2013 · Points: 181

I am getting house-atosis,  time to go to a happy place.

Cosmiccragsman AKA Dwain · · Las Vegas, Nevada and Apple… · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 136
Dallas R wrote:

Did you read the fine print at the bottom?  

Plus, did you tumble to the CoRvid part.  Legal and marketing came up with that, now no one can sue us for false advertising.  What people don't know is that CoRvid does not exist, so that makes it really easy to prevent.  
Yep.
Caught all that.
I was being funny also
Maybe I should have added a,  /s
after it    :-)

My humor does go to the extremes sometimes,
Just like my safety and decontaminating process after I get back from the grocery
that I've only been to twice in the last 2 weeks.

My glove I wear when I go to the store...
Lori Milas · · Joshua Tree · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 190

I hope everyone is keeping it high and happy today.  (High=elevated   )

We hiked to see some petroglyphs today, and saw an iguana out sunning himself.  This is beautiful land that just doesn’t ever scare me... 

Garry R · · Guelph, ON · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 0
phylp phylp wrote:

Back in my 20s I worked at a big steakhouse restaurant with a large, young staff. After hours on Saturday nights, we would all gather in the bar and drink and party. I recall doing shots of 151 rum. Not so bad, Garry. Does get you completely blotto though. In retrospect, please don’t do this, young people!

Wow...! 

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 312

Oldtrad!!!!       So please don’t make this this a political thread.

Why don’t you please delete what you posted, please- pretty please.   

Carl Schneider · · Adelaide, South Australia · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0
Senor Arroz wrote:

People don't believe me that School of Rock is the ONLY movie that ever made me cry. But it is. Happy tears, really, when Zac, the kid with the overbearing father, just stands up to his parents and lets it RIP on the guitar. So much to love about that film

Have you not seen The Lion King?  The Iron Giant? Up? I cried in all of those.  I cry in LOTS of movies....

Senor Arroz · · LA, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 10
Carl Schneider wrote:

Have you not seen The Lion King?  The Iron Giant? Up? I cried in all of those.  I cry in LOTS of movies....

I'm not an easy crier. Either my dog has to die or School of Rock. No middle ground.

wendy weiss · · boulder, co · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 10

Maybe it'd generational (ok boomer). I haven't seen any of he movies mentioned here. I cry when I watch Running on Empty and Matewan.. 

Cosmiccragsman AKA Dwain wrote: Yep.
Caught all that.
I was being funny also
Maybe I should have added a,  /s
after it    :-)

My humor does go to the extremes sometimes,
Just like my safety and decontaminating process after I get back from the grocery
that I've only been to twice in the last 2 weeks.

My glove I wear when I go to the store...

Can I get that glove in a much larger size????

Oldtrad... thx, would love to discuss face to face, around a campfire with a smoke and a bottle of fine whiskey. COR September??? 
Cosmiccragsman AKA Dwain · · Las Vegas, Nevada and Apple… · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 136
Guy Keesee wrote:

Can I get that glove in a much larger size????

Oldtrad... thx, would love to discuss face to face, around a campfire with a smoke and a bottle of fine whiskey. COR September??? 
Rubber EXPANDS!

Mark Frumkin · · Bishop, CA · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 56

That is heat shrink right!

Cosmiccragsman AKA Dwain wrote: Rubber EXPANDS!

Yes it does! That’s something I learned at Band Camp   

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,280

And I'm camping with you boys????

Hmmmmmm........

Oh, goodness.  Everyone getting testy, and goofy.  Can you not all behave?    

We are just holding steady here in Josh.  This is not the trip I had planned... but probably the trip we needed.  We are taking time to drive through neighborhoods here, both in Josh and Yucca.  Last night outside our AirB&B there was a loud brawl... it  went on and on with threats of murder, and I discovered that there are only 2 cops covering all this territory... and they take their time to come. (I didn't call... someone else did.)  But I also learned that this happens on this block ALL THE TIME.  Good to know!  

Seems the decision points are whether to spend the extra bucks to be on land right next to the Park.  This is one of those times when it would be good to have a paper map (where do you find such a thing these days?)... highlight the 'yes' areas, and wipe out the 'no' areas.  

People are dropping prices rapidly here... and my chirpy realtor in town is not so chirpy now.  Of the 11 houses she had in Escrow... every one of them pulled out.  Watching prices plummet... people panicking to sell... it's a pretty unique time to be buying.  

Maybe this is not the 'yurt' time of my life after all.  As we experience the reality of nature here... as well as the various neighborhoods... I'm really thinking about what would keep me here over the long haul.  It can get hot, cold, and harsh here.  A few amenities could make the difference.

So really... it's a great time.  Making lemons out of lemonade...  I think the key is to turn off the TV.  Trust that we have the information we need for this national crisis...

I'm ready to pull out my various books and ropes and rack and head back to the local trail, and start working on anchoring again.  Very soon, people, we will need all of it!  

Lori Milas wrote: Oh, goodness.  Everyone getting testy, and goofy.  Can you not all behave?    

We are just holding steady here in Josh.  This is not the trip I had planned... but probably the trip we needed.  We are taking time to drive through neighborhoods here, both in Josh and Yucca.  Last night outside our AirB&B there was a loud brawl... it  went on and on with threats of murder, and I discovered that there are only 2 cops covering all this territory... and they take their time to come. (I didn't call... someone else did.)  But I also learned that this happens on this block ALL THE TIME.  Good to know!  

Seems the decision points are whether to spend the extra bucks to be on land right next to the Park.  This is one of those times when it would be good to have a paper map (where do you find such a thing these days?)... highlight the 'yes' areas, and wipe out the 'no' areas.  

People are dropping prices rapidly here... and my chirpy realtor in town is not so chirpy now.  Of the 11 houses she had in Escrow... every one of them pulled out.  Watching prices plummet... people panicking to sell... it's a pretty unique time to be buying.  

Maybe this is not the 'yurt' time of my life after all.  As we experience the reality of nature here... as well as the various neighborhoods... I'm really thinking about what would keep me here over the long haul.  It can get hot, cold, and harsh here.  A few amenities could make the difference.

So really... it's a great time.  Making lemons out of lemonade...  I think the key is to turn off the TV.  Trust that we have the information we need for this national crisis...

I'm ready to pull out my various books and ropes and rack and head back to the local trail, and start working on anchoring again.  Very soon, people, we will need all of it!  

We are behaving, Lori.

BTW I saw your pic in the March issue of, Common Climber.

Cosmiccragsman AKA Dwain wrote: We are behaving, Lori.

BTW I saw your pic in the March issue of, Common Climber.

Dwain... now I know you're lyin'.      YOU are not capable of behaving... I know this just from knowing you these few short months.  You would not be you if you were behaving.  So, carry on!    

Re. the pic ... this is such a small community!  Dave Barnes somehow found me on our mutual Diabetes Facebook page.  He asked me to write an article about climbing with Type 1 Diabetes.  By far, I think the bigger challenge is climbing OLD.      But I do recognize the challenge of needing to constantly test my blood sugar, adjust when it's trending high or low... I just hope that the people who are climbing with me are not freaked out.  They seem to understand, and be willing to take a minute or five as I figure out what I need.  

That Apple Watch and new tracker has been a game changer for me!  So... I wrote the article for Common Climber.  They wanted 'professional photos'.  I don't know where Dave thought I was going to find those.  so.... I gave them my shoe-cam photos.  

I cannot think of another endeavor where the community is so small and so wonderful--Tony argues with me about this, because he is pretty sure he could be playing pickup football with Tom Brady, too. Or golfing with Tiger.  AND... he keeps forgetting who's who in the climbing world.. "Who's Tommy again?"  

In our gym, Alex Honnold's mom, Dierdre, has been climbing forever.  I was leaving her alone, assuming she already had too many wannabe groupie friends.   Turns out, Dierdre welcomes and wants new friends!  We had this trip in Joshua Tree all planned out... she was to be here for 4 days staying with Tony and me at the AirB&B... and we were going to climb together the on the days she was here--then she would be off to Alex's neck of the woods... it was VERY weird to receive an email from her including Alex and Sanni... like, hey, we're all best buds!  Can Tommy come, too?  

I'm guessing in time we will all know one another.  Some of the best climbers in the world have even convened here on this thread.  HOW CAN THIS BE?  I'm starstruck all the time here.  And heading out into the Park... one COULD see Lynn Hill, or my little buddy Jeremy doing his amazing stuff... or one COULD even wind up climbing with Bob Gaines, or Chris... in my eyes, all Superheros.  

Speaking of superheroes... mine is Spiderman.  Some days I'm the Red Barron... channeling my inner Alex.  What's yours? 

Lori Milas wrote:

Dwain... now I know you're lyin'.      YOU are not capable of behaving... I know this just from knowing you these few short months.  You would not be you if you were behaving.  So, carry on!    

Re. the pic ... this is such a small community!  Dave Barnes somehow found me on our mutual Diabetes Facebook page.  He asked me to write an article about climbing with Type 1 Diabetes.  By far, I think the bigger challenge is climbing OLD.      But I do recognize the challenge of needing to constantly test my blood sugar, adjust when it's trending high or low... I just hope that the people who are climbing with me are not freaked out.  They seem to understand, and be willing to take a minute or five as I figure out what I need.  

That Apple Watch and new tracker has been a game changer for me!  So... I wrote the article for Common Climber.  They wanted 'professional photos'.  I don't know where Dave thought I was going to find those.  so.... I gave them my shoe-cam photos.  

I cannot think of another endeavor where the community is so small and so wonderful--Tony argues with me about this, because he is pretty sure he could be playing pickup football with Tom Brady, too. Or golfing with Tiger.  AND... he keeps forgetting who's who in the climbing world.. "Who's Tommy again?"  

In our gym, Alex Honnold's mom, Dierdre, has been climbing forever.  I was leaving her alone, assuming she already had too many wannabe groupie friends.   Turns out, Dierdre welcomes and wants new friends!  We had this trip in Joshua Tree all planned out... she was to be here for 4 days staying with Tony and me at the AirB&B... and we were going to climb together the on the days she was here--then she would be off to Alex's neck of the woods... it was VERY weird to receive an email from her including Alex and Sanni... like, hey, we're all best buds!  Can Tommy come, too?  

I'm guessing in time we will all know one another.  Some of the best climbers in the world have even convened here on this thread.  HOW CAN THIS BE?  I'm starstruck all the time here.  And heading out into the Park... one COULD see Lynn Hill, or my little buddy Jeremy doing his amazing stuff... or one COULD even wind up climbing with Bob Gaines, or Chris... in my eyes, all Superheros.  

Speaking of superheroes... mine is Spiderman.  Some days I'm the Red Barron... channeling my inner Alex.  What's yours?

I always behave.  

I just have a weird sense of humor.

As for channeling, I channel Wednesday Adams every once in a while.

And sometimes I can have a Prickly Personality.

Sometimes I even channel, Ensign Parker

I'm good at channeling other people.
But I always Behave.
Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

thought JT was closed?     you folks stuck at home watching movies Try Second hand Lions and Third man On The Mountain. 

Nick Goldsmith wrote: thought JT was closed?     you folks stuck at home watching movies Try Second hand Lions and Third man On The Mountain. 
I'm not watching TV.
I'd rather work on my, COSMetICs by COSMIC

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "New and Experienced Climbers Over 50 #10"