COVID-19: At REI, we encourage you to get outside responsibly. Stay local, avoid recreational travel, practice social distancing and check ahead for area and facility closures. Learn More
Mountain Project Logo

Multipitch etiquette

revans · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 50
Artem Vasilyev wrote: 

That being said, ever since having rockfall pulled down on me by other parties (and a separate incident where a paper bag full of poop was dropped on us from like 5 pitches up in Potrero), I have stopped fucking around with climbing behind/under others.

sounds like your ready for el cap. thats not rain falling from the sky ;)

to the op, yeah that happen and maybe letting them pass would have been best. but how did the rest of the climb go? did you dust them or get dusted? or did you all become friends at the belays?
Fehim Hasecic · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 190
Artem Vasilyev wrote:
That being said, ever since having rockfall pulled down on me by other parties (and a separate incident where a paper bag full of poop was dropped on us from like 5 pitches up in Potrero), I have stopped fucking around with climbing behind/under others. I now simply change my plan for the day if I spot people on the route I'm approaching and jump on something else. There is always something else that is good.
This is The Way!
Thomas Gilmore · · Golden, CO · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 150

What the hell MP? Why do peoples posts just dissappear at will? Some one made a very long detailed response who could have been the party in question. Thought this thread was just about to get real entertaining. Another reason this site is shit now adays...

Mark Pilate · · MN · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 10

Good question.  Is it a glitch?  One of mine earlier in the thread disappeared as well

Thomas Gilmore · · Golden, CO · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 150

Not sure. While posting that, I realized there is an option to delete your post. I guess you can just delete something you regret. To clarify I'm not looking for drama between the two parties but rather to have a discussion (I know impossible on MP) and to see the event from each parties point of view which could have a lot of learning points for climbers of all ability levels.

The post I'm referring too made some good conclusions about experience (or lack there of) leading less experienced parties to being less open to sharing anchors or allowing passing...

I do think north American climbers could benefit from a more chill attitude and friendly demeanor while encountering other parties at the crag and less of an "I was first I own this climb" attitude...

Troll in the Dungeon ! · · Nevada · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 30
Greg Davis wrote: Did you consider letting them pass? was that an option?

If it is between, having someone crawling up your butt who is faster and waiting for 30 min while they go away and you never see them again, I don't know why it was an issue. I let people pass all the time if I'm feeling even a bit annoyed by them being there. 

Yes we asked them to pass cause we didn't want to share every belay. The leader was fast enough to be on our asses, but I dont think the followers were fast enough to truly pass us, so it was akward timing for him to start climbing. I have no issue with letting others pass,  sharing anchors is totally fine if necessary, but in this case simply waiting 10-15 minutes to start climbing could prevent that. We just decided to chill on a ledge and drink beer for a good while to put some distance between us. Turned out fine, and I have no issues with the party in question,  was just polling to see what common practice is.

Greg Davis · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 10

Common practice is to have some sort of life experience then share it on MP with some editing bias. Seems like you've found your way.

Bill Lawry · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,696
Sam X wrote:

The leader was fast enough to be on our asses, but I dont think the followers were fast enough to truly pass us, so it was akward timing for him to start climbing. I have no issue with letting others pass,  sharing anchors is totally fine if necessary, but in this case simply waiting 10-15 minutes to start climbing could prevent that. 

My understanding about the leader:   baby rattlesnakes don't yet know how to hold their venom.  Over time, he or she will think about the team as a whole.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Multipitch etiquette"