Mountain Project Logo

Most classic boulder problem of each grade in the country

Original Post
Dylan Demyanek · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 2,622

I like making lists and thinking about boulders, so I have compiled a list of what I consider to be the most classic boulder problems at each grade in the US. I would love to hear some different opinions and arguments for why certain boulders would make your list instead. [A couple disclaimers: I live in Las Vegas. I boulder V8. I have only actually touched six of the problems on the list in person.]

What problems would you change and why?

V0 - Plumber’s Crack, Red Rock NV
V1 - Heavenly Path, Bishop CA
V2 - White Rastafarian, Joshua Tree CA
V3 - Pork Chop, Red Rock NV
V4 - Iron Man Traverse, Bishop CA
V5 - Golden Shower, Rocktown GA
V6 - See Spot Run, Hueco Tanks TX
V7 - Tommy’s Arete, RMNP CO
V8 - Midnight Lightning, Yosemite CA
V9 - Worst Case Scenario, Joe’s Valley UT
V10 - Whispers of Wisdom, RMNP CO
V11 - Hell Belly, Big Bend UT
V12 - Wet Dream, Red Rock NV
V13 - Roses and Blue Jays, Great Barrington MA
V14 - Esperanza, Hueco Tanks TX
V15 - The Game, Boulder Canyon CO
V16 - The Process, Bishop CA

Mike Brady · · Van Diesel, OR · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 768

V3 - Slashface in JTNP or East Side Story in the Milks (porkchop is really good but it aint THAT good)
V4 - Jedi Mind Tricks or To Die For in Hueco  (Ironman is kinda lame IMO. Always gangbanged, same move over and over,.....and its a traverse)
V8 -  Impossible to argue against ML but Checkerboard is pretty damn good too....and it isnt entirely loved to death........yet.

I'll concede on Porkchop haha I think both of your suggestions would bump it off the list. And I had never heard of To Die For. That thing looks absolutely sick! 

Cron · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 55

I vote Gunsmoke for classic v3. I don’t really boulder, but that’s one I’ll take a lap on whenever I get the chance.

Lincoln Mahan · · Waltham, MA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 187

V4- Jedi Mind Tricks is better than Ironman imo but, have you tried Overlooked out in Pawtuckaway?

BFK · · San Francisco · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 246

It is hard to argue with See Spot Run but V6 has so many great problems that need to be mentioned:

V6 -  Saigon in Bishop needs to be runner up. Delicate opening moves, defined power crux, super airy topout all on one of the most amazing pieces of granite perched against the Eastern Sierra background!
V6 - I'd also throw some love towards Ride the Lightning at Pawtuckaway NH.  Haven't sent this rig but I think it qualifies as one of the best in the Northeast. 

Lincoln Mahan · · Waltham, MA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 187
BFK wrote: V6 - I'd also throw some love towards Ride the Lightning at Pawtuckaway NH.  Haven't sent this rig but I think it qualifies as one of the best in the Northeast. 

True tings

Hope for Movement · · USA, Europe · Joined Aug 2019 · Points: 0

Pinch Overhang?

Peter Beal · · Boulder Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,755
BFK · · San Francisco · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 246

This thread got me thinking, anyone know where the last problem in this video is located (named Steppin Razor V10 in the film)?
https://vimeo.com/39248560​​​

I remember watching this vid years ago and thinking that problem was one of the sickest lines I'd ever seen. Over the years I've never heard anything about it and google searches for the name/location/grade produce nothing. Maybe it was misnamed in the film?

Peter Beal wrote: I wrote this a while back

https://www.climbing.com/places/the-classic-25-americas-best-boulder-problems/

I read this when it was published and I loved every word of it!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Bouldering
Post a Reply to "Most classic boulder problem of each grade in t…"