Mountain Project Logo

Socks and Climbing Shoes Your missing Out

kevin deweese · · Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 631

Aaaaaaaaaand this thread has run its course. 

Zay Ban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2019 · Points: 5
kevin deweese wrote: Aaaaaaaaaand this thread has run its course. 

Not if we all post pictures of John Bachar free soloing 5.12's with socks.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,936
Zay Ban wrote:

Not if we all post pictures of John Bachar free soloing 5.12's with socks.

Bring it!

Proof is in the pudding, my friends.
Magpie79 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 0
kevin deweese wrote:

I think there's an assumption of wearing socks meaning that there's room for play inside the shoe. Which is true in many cases. 

Some (I say "some" to mean "me") will sometimes (I say "sometimes" to mean "when it's cold" and "when I'm in a masochistic mood and focusing on edging problems because my arms are weak") have a set of shoes where they fit them so that they're comfortable without socks and tight with socks so that there's no play. 

This has worked maybe once when I nailed the fit, but mostly they end up overly tight and constricting and then my coal feet turn to diamonds under the pressure and end up hurting even more against the cold. 

Also I barely ever freeclimb anymore when it's cold and much prefer to aid (I say "I barely ever freeclimb anymore when it's cold and much prefer to aid" to mean "my opinion on this matter is irrelevant and I'm just yapping online because I'm bored")

We are all just yapping online because we are bored. Keep it up, so I have something to read. 

Edit: I must be really bored, because I am reading a thread about socks.
Not Hobo Greg · · My Van · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 200
Tradiban wrote:

Think about the difference between overhanging routes and slab routes.

And...you just sprayed about how many 5.10s you've climbed. Bravissimo!

Damn, I did. Way to trick me.

But Cutting Edge IS thin edges and was sent in socks, so move the goal posts all you want, it’s proof that you can climb thin edges in socks.
revans90 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 50

My friend monster mike puts on socks to send v10.

Gumby the White · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2019 · Points: 122
Not Hobo Greg wrote:

Here’s what I don’t get: you climb 5.10 on a good day. Multiple people here have shown you folks climbing 5.13 in socks. Yet you continue to hold your ground. You’re just a chump at that point. If you’re gonna spray about climbing, try backing it up with actual climbing ability.

I was out bouldering at Lynn hill memorial face problem (v4) one day with some friends and this crusty dude with blown out approach shoes and socks on walks up and sends it second go - in his approach shoes!!!

As they walked away and they were yammering I heard one of them refer to the other one as "tradiban"....

Eric Carlos · · Rogers · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 40

Been climbing in socks since 2001!

Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,241
Tradiban wrote:

Lol. Having to explain your troll response to a fellow troll-e might be a whole new level winning for me.

However, no troll. If you wear a sock your feet won't grip the inside of the shoe as well and slide a bit, rendering your edging less effective. Sometimes it takes a little chalk on the feet beforehand for the sweaty type in order for this to work.

So we’re essentially climbing the insides of the shoes? Would vibram five finger shoes work better?

aaaand unfollowing.

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,620
Not Hobo Greg wrote:

Damn, I did. Way to trick me.

But Cutting Edge IS thin edges and was sent in socks, so move the goal posts all you want, it’s proof that you can climb thin edges in socks.

Just because it's possible doesn't mean it's best practice.

And check your camera tilt! Cutting Edge aint slab.
Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 217

People complaining about the smell just need to develop severe allergies.  Problem solved! (For you, at least).

Mark Pilate · · MN · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 10

Well, it’s 5 degrees out and snowing, so I’m definitely pairing socks with my Nepal’s today.
Harder to feel the frontpoint subtleties, but I’ll manage. 

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,620
Colonel Mustard wrote:

So we’re essentially climbing the insides of the shoes? Would vibram five finger shoes work better?

People who wear socks in ill-fitted shoes will find the shoe slipping on their foot. So yes, the shoe is climbing the rock, not your foot.

Five Fingers will not work well because they do not combine your toes into one unit for stability.
Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,241
Tradiban wrote:

People who wear socks in ill-fitted shoes will find the shoe slipping on their foot. So yes, the shoe is climbing the rock, not your foot.

Five Fingers will not work well because they do not combine your toes into one unit for stability.

Inside of the shoe. I know, it’s too dumb an idea to even follow.

M Mobes · · ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 910
Colonel Mustard wrote:

Inside of the shoe. I know, it’s too dumb an idea to even follow.

Good troll though, the bite was solid.

Julian H · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 5

You are golden as long as you wearing socks with unlined shoes. Wearing socks in lined shoes is considered double bagging.

Really, not wearing socks is best practice? Sounds pretty dumb to me. Best practice in this case is what people choose to do, is not like someone is going to dies from wearing socks. 

Daniel Kaye · · Boston, ma · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 3,699

My girlfriend loves wearing socks with her shoes - says it's comfier and keeps her feet and shoes cleanier. I presonally this socks sometimes when it's colder. I don't boulder much but have managed to climb up to easy 5.12s, occasionally with socks, don't really notice a difference. To each THEIR own, right?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Socks and Climbing Shoes Your missing Out"