Mountain Project Logo

RIP Hampi

Original Post
Jef Van Alsenoy · · Antwerpen · Joined 10 days ago · Points: 0

India's high court just ruled the demolition of 'illegal' infrastructure on Hippie Island. The famous Goan Corner will allegedly be torn down in a month. Yay to fancy resorts, booh for localism. Sad news for climbers and for society in general.

plantmandan · · Brighton, CO · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 50

That's a shame.

At least we'll always have that bouldering movie with Chris Sharma and his friends. There must be a lot of dust or pollen there because their eyes were blazing red.

Derek Ehrnschwender · · Somerville, MA · Joined May 2015 · Points: 11

Sad to hear. I was there a year ago and had a nice time. My friend and I had loads of fun "multipitch bouldering" up the big rockpiles, getting lost in weird three-dimensional scrambling puzzles that went from cave chimneys to exposed V0 soloing in the sun just by turning a corner. The trad climber in me was also psyched to find a 20 foot slightly overhung handsized splitter not too far from the hostel. The scene at the Goan Corner wasn't what I expected--there were far more normie 22yo british kids on extended party holiday than there were climbers. The hosts were great and the food was good.

Jef Van Alsenoy · · Antwerpen · Joined 10 days ago · Points: 0

I hear Sanapur is the new Hampi though, and​ they have a pond with a crocodile.​​​

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "RIP Hampi"