Mountain Project Logo

Vintage jb helmet.

Original Post
J B · · Painesville, OH · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Anyone have any info on these? Worth anything?

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,492

JB was Joe Brown, early British rock star. That helmet was state-of-the art in the mid 70s. Hot and heavy.

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419

That is a  very refined version of the original 70s "JB helmet that was a single-color (White*, Orange, Blue, Red, Green**) shell of fiberglass & was available in the late 80searly 90s vintage. *1st gen, ** last of the full brain-buckets; '74-'88s  before that nifty "Tye-Dyed" one.

(**=   There is a short piece in Alpinist #51; Autumn 2015)

Garry Reiss · · Guelph, ON · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1

I like the paint job. Mine is just red.

Kristian Solem · · Monrovia, CA · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 1,055

That right there is why I never used to wear a helmet. Felt like a tank commander. The new helmet's are great.

PTR · · NEPA · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 10

Interesting information here on Joe Brown's retail venture: https://www.climbers-shop.com/pages/aboutus/  See the link at the very bottom of the page for the full story.  His autobiography (1967) is a good read: https://www.amazon.com/Hard-Years-His-Autobiography/dp/0753812665

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

Looks perfect for Burning Man

i shore · · London · Joined May 2018 · Points: 0

May be wrong but looks like either the original Joe Brown helmet or perhaps more likely the later JB lightweight from roughly early 1970s. Fibreglass and heavy compared to modern helmets. Does have greater cover especially round nape and ears (less so in the Lightweight) and might well have offered greater protection than modern helmets in a fall. I think modern helmets are tested for protection from stonefall rather than impact of head on ground.
I had an even heavier helmet which I think came earlier: Compton Climber Mk II. This had a British Standard rating (I think Jim Titt posted that this was a motorcycle standard), I can't remember if the JB also had that standard. The Compton protected me in a fairly long head first fall onto rock (the coloured coating was splattered on the rock in the shape of a multipointed star)....I later found I had a healed fracture of a cervical vertebra, possibly from that incident.
FWIW I think the added psychedelic paint would make it less valuable to any collector.
 Does the resin on fiberglass degenerate with time? Anyway my JB Lightweight still serves as my spare for poorly equipped visiting climbers.

Marc H · · Longmont, CO · Joined May 2007 · Points: 265

I highly suggest you read Feeding the Rat by Al Alvarez for an easy, fun read about Joe Brown and crew.

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

My first caving helmet was a red Joe Brown. It did not fit very well. This is 1996.

My friend George loved that helmet, though. He actually said I could trade a Stearns 2 man inflatable kayak for it, which of course I did without hesitation. 
Garry Reiss · · Guelph, ON · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1

Ask him if he wants another one

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419
i shore wrote: May be wrong but looks like either the original Joe Brown helmet or perhaps more likely the later JB lightweight from roughly early 1970s. Fibreglass and heavy compared to modern helmets. Does have greater cover especially round nape and ears (less so in the Lightweight) and might well have offered greater protection than modern helmets in a fall. I think modern helmets are tested for protection from stonefall rather than impact of head on ground.
I had an even heavier helmet which I think came earlier: Compton Climber Mk II. This had a British Standard rating (I think Jim Titt posted that this was a motorcycle standard), I can't remember if the JB also had that standard. The Compton protected me in a fairly long head first fall onto rock (the coloured coating was splattered on the rock in the shape of a multipointed star)....I later found I had a healed fracture of a cervical vertebra, possibly from that incident.
FWIW I think the added psychedelic paint would make it less valuable to any collector.
 Does the resin on fiberglass degenerate with time?   ,)}NO{(,  `

&~ After all that ? post a picture of this~Anyway my JB Lightweight   .  .  .still serves as my spare for poorly equipped visiting climbers.

as I already said, with surety, I can look it up in any number of old magazines....

The helmet in the OP is not painted, 

The Article from Alpinist #51 Autumn 2015

All the helmets google images shows

It is a Late 80's  or early 90s vintage that was an update with the colored Fiberglass,  

The coloring is in the fiberglass not painted on.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          While the linked article says that all the JB helmets were modeled after "boating helmets" 

The OP's seems to be the more sculpted like a modern "White-water" "Squirt-Boat" style.

Less like the original which was more akin to the "Scooter"-style ( I had more than one of the earlier/older versions)

Argh! I made a grab of old Magazines. The oldest,  a classic "Climbing" #47 from March/April 1978,
It is the issue with "The Evolution of Ego in Eden" by Joe Healy. . .  Missing his voice around here for quite a while now...

Then I find that there isn't a working scanner in the house. damn.

iPhone shots from the 1981 black & white "Coffee Table size"  book  "Learning To Rock Climb", by Michael Loughman
The informtion was the accumulation of climbing knowledge from the previous decades & seemed "dated" when it came out in 1981
 Helmets are mentioned as an after-thought split between page129 &130 of the 131-page book!
(There are another 6 pages including a picture of Middle Cathedral Rock, The Index & Glossary)
Kind of amazing looking at it now eh?  
It is a true commentary on those times,  Still for all the reasons given,
it's hard to think of one that outweighs the alternative; a  crushed skull. *;
"Helmets a philosophy"   '  '  '"Your first line of defense should be the thoughtful use of your head, not the covering of it. . . ! !? *
"Helmets, a Philosophy" (Pg -2) almost the end of the book.
i shore · · London · Joined May 2018 · Points: 0
Suburban Roadside wrote:

Yes you're wrong, as I already said, with surety I can look it up in any number of old magazines....                                                                                                                                                                               Does the resin on fiberglass degenerate with time?   ,)}NO{(,  `
&~ After all that ? post a picture of this~Anyway my JB Lightweight   .  .  .still serves as my spare for poorly equipped visiting climbers

Thanks for the education,  the Alpinist link especially. I chucked my old magazines. My memory obviously has a poor timescale. I do seem to remember there was a slight criticism of the JB for not being rigid under sideways pressure. I think the above is a request for a picture of my JB Lightweight (which is definitely the name it was sold under in UK). I can't get hold of it at present but could in the next few weeks, though I don't think it would add much to the thread.
Mark Pilate · · MN · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 25

You could wear that helmet in any play hole eddy today and not look out of place. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Vintage jb helmet."

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started