Mountain Project Logo

Yosemite Guidebook now available as pdf

Original Post
Erik Sloan · · El Portal, CA · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 154

Yo Gang,

For the last five years I tried to support the climbing apps, giving my book to Vertical Life and later Sloper, but neither seemed to ever catch on. Folks have always asked for the pdf, so I'm releasing it now (only $5 for the next few weeks).
(If, after checking out the ebook, you want to buy some for your friends but don't want to go through the checkout process again, you can just paypal me at erik@yosemitebigwall.com).

Note: This is a minor tweak from the significantly updated 2018 Revised Edition of the book - just typos fixed, and a few photos switched out, a route added. Marek thought we should try putting qr codes in the book, for the parking, since so many struggle with that. But the qr codes don't work at low resolution, so they will not work in this ebook (some climbers have offered to fix this issue, but it looks like it will be March at the earliest, I will post an update here then if it happens).

Last year I posted on this site trying to urge the authors of the forth coming comprehensive Yosemite book to release their material in pdf form - they have been working on the book, reportedly already over 1000 pages, since 2006, and Yosemite climbers are just psyched to find out about all the routes out there. It's a National Park, after all, so seems un-american to create a route on public land (the author's are also big  route pioneers) and then withhold information about it. My offer still stands - if the group making the comprehensive book releases their material for free, I'll make my pdf free!

https://store.yosemitebigwall.com/product/2020-ebook-rock-climbing-yosemite-valley-revised-edition-downloadable-pdf/

Woot!
Erik Sloan
Yosemitebigwall.com Rockclimbyosemite.com

Colin Abraham · · Mountain View, CA · Joined Sep 2019 · Points: 0

Awesome book!!! Can’t believe the amount of knowledge for the cost of a large Starbucks! Thanks Erik can’t wait to get on some of those routes. 

Daniel Melnyk · · Covina · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 50

The pictures in it alone are great. Routes beta and other info is way beyond any other current Yosemite guide book. *cough* supertopo

Thanks Gang! Yosemite is tshirt weather in the sun right now, so get after it! I work at Yosemite Lodge Bar, Sat - Wed night so stop by and say hey!

Ken Landau gave an invalid email, Ken are you out there? Just email me at erik@yosemitebigwall.com for your ebook link

Gumby King · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 25

This exactly what I want!  Loved Vertical Life but it ended up being a let down.  And well...  my book has seen better days (or a lot of love, water damage, and a roommate throwing it in the oven).  Thanks!  Beer money coming your way.

Ryan Jurkowski · · San Diego, CA · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 0

Sweet! Ordered

Jeff Luton · · Arcata · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 5

@erik is this a big wall guide or the free climbs? I have your “older” big wall guide and $5 for an updated version would be nice

DesertRat · · Flagstaff, AZ · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 196

Ordered!   Thanks Erik!

splitclimber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 18

Nice deal on the PDF Eric. But why do you always feel the need to call out the other guide book authors. Seems petty. If I was making a guidebook I sure as hell wouldn't give it away for free

Ryan Pfleger · · Boise, ID · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 20
Gumby King wrote....and a roommate throwing it in the oven...

This isn't oven safe? I didn't see that caveat on the webpage...

Just bought one! Thanks, Erik!
Gumby King · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 25
Ryan Pfleger wrote: This isn't oven safe? I didn't see that caveat on the webpage...

Details... and it wasn't waterproof :-)

Andy Wiesner · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 35

Ordered. Erik, like Jeff asked, is a pdf for the big wall book available?

Hey guys thanks for the Love.....we're almost done with the second edition of the bigwall book, mega updates!....I'll give you guys the same $5 intro price but probably only for a weekend....hopefully get it done next week.

A few folks had difficulty downloading. This is a bigger file, so using your computer, and then putting it on your phone might be best, or if you have spotty wifi definitely try the most stable wifi you can find. If you have real problems and it won't work email me at erik@yosemitebigwall.com and of course I'm happy to refund your $5 (I'm on the computer a lot yesterday and today because of this launch, but you might have to wait a half day or day for a reply, I apologize for that).

spitclimber - because I live here and care about the climbs people are putting up on our public lands.....we deserve to climb them! It's that simple....I didn't say they have to give their material away for free - I hope they charge $30, lol, it'll make my offering such a bargain, haha

Jeff Luton · · Arcata · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 5

Bitchin dude, yeah give an update when you do, I’ll have to talk to the lady about it but im sure she’ll be stoked on it

K Weber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 15
splitclimber wrote: Nice deal on the PDF Eric. But why do you always feel the need to call out the other guide book authors. Seems petty. If I was making a guidebook I sure as hell wouldn't give it away for free

Those other guys/ST cult, have been incredibly pretty and bullying for years.  They think they are above others as well.   Not that the Sloan/Hartuni-Cummings-etal is a good thing...quite the opposite. They should get their 20 year guide project done.  Their time is limited

Jon Rhoderick · · Redmond, OR · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 926

Do you have a topo on the full Passage to Freedom from last fall?

Passage to Freedom is in the bigwall book, due out next week - I just didn't have it done in time, and if you add a page in a book you mess up all the other spreads so wasn't able to just 'throw it in' to this book at the last second.....but I did put it on the dawn wall overlay, so you can see where the route goes.

It might not seem like a crazy deal, but you guys should really check out this limited printing 60 x 40 high res El Cap Print with Route Lines and Formations marked - This is a $1000 high res print of El Cap (Eric Hansen, of Blue Planet VR owns a 15k HP printer and agreed to do a run of these to get the word out about the product, at a discounted price, if I drove to LA and manned the printer). Like straight up Eric sells his big prints for $1k for this size, it's that high res (8k)....and you get all the route lines and formations marked...only challenge is you have to have space!

https://store.yosemitebigwall.com/product/el-capitan-climbing-routes-40-x-60-print/

CO_Michael · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2008 · Points: 950
Erik Sloan wrote: It might not seem like a crazy deal, but you guys should really check out this limited printing 60 x 40 high res El Cap Print with Route Lines and Formations marked - This is a $1000 high res print of El Cap (Eric Hansen, of Blue Planet VR owns a 15k HP printer and agreed to do a run of these to get the word out about the product, at a discounted price, if I drove to LA and manned the printer). Like straight up Eric sells his big prints for $1k for this size, it's that high res (8k)....and you get all the route lines and formations marked...only challenge is you have to have space!

https://store.yosemitebigwall.com/product/el-capitan-climbing-routes-40-x-60-print/

That big El Cap print is cool.

$220
M Alexander · · SLO, CA · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 32
Erik Sloan wrote: spitclimber - because I live here and care about the climbs people are putting up on our public lands.....we deserve to climb them! It's that simple....I didn't say they have to give their material away for free - I hope they charge $30, lol, it'll make my offering such a bargain, haha

No it's exactly what you said:

"My offer still stands - if the group making the comprehensive book releases their material for free, I'll make my pdf free!"

And no one is stopping anyone from climbing anything. If someone puts up a route and tells no one, that's their deal, it already happens everywhere.

Erik, I like your guidebook and have put it to good use, but slamming the other authors is a weird look. 
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Yosemite Guidebook now available as pdf"