Mountain Project Logo

Resoling Katana Lace w/XS Edge 4mm or 5mm?

Original Post
David Martin · · Asheville, NC · Joined Aug 2019 · Points: 0

Hey all,

I'm planning to resole my Katana Laces for the second time. I'm debating between 4mm or 5mm XS Edge rubber. Theyre an all around shoe for me, and that said I most enjoy climbing vertical walls that require a lot of edging, and some crack and overhung sport and a little slab as well. I was leaning toward the 4mm for extra sensitivity on small edges, however the resoler suggested I may want to go with 5mm to stiffen the shoes back up a bit. Does anyone have any input?

Thanks much!
David

Long Ranger · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 619

I use 5mm for gym shoes, as it does seem to help with keeping the downturn as well as stiff (I'm heavy) and allow them to take more abuse, but I'm not sure I would do it for a pair you like to climb outside with. I believe 4mm is what they came with, so you would lose a little sensitivity. Inside, I don't really care. But if this seems like it may be the last resole your shoes will be able to take, I say experiment.

MIchael Plapp · · Madras OR · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 5

I have resoled my Katana laces multiple times with 4mm except one time with 5mm.
I did not like the feel of the 5mm and they wore down oddly. It could have been the resole job but I went back to 4mm.

Matt M · · Joshua Tree, CA · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 1

David - where are you planning to send yours? I need to resole my Katanas too.

Adam Gallimore · · Greensboro · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 313

I just got a pair of Katanas back from Yosemite Bum, and I have to say I really like the evolve rubber. I got the Trax SAS and it feels insanely sticky on granite and still edges just as good as the original vibram XS edge rubber.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Resoling Katana Lace w/XS Edge 4mm or 5mm?"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.