Mountain Project Logo

latest (2019) version of Scarpa Phantom Tech

Original Post
hector galbraith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

Anyone  had a chance to try out these new  Scarpa boots? Comments?

J Sword · · Southern NH · Joined May 2019 · Points: 0

I can only comment on fit as I did not pull the trigger on them:

I have a wide-ish forefoot, regular heel, and low arch.  I felt that for me, the new phantom tech was too loose in the heel, little too low volume in the forefoot, and a bit less wide toebox than what you would expect from Scarpa.  I have not been able to compare with the previous PT model (trying to score a couple discounted pairs to try on as they are no longer in stores around me), but I can compare with the old Mont Blanc GTX (not Pro) and La Sportiva's line of ice boots.  The Mont Blanc GTX was a pretty great fit for me, I was expecting something similar from these but was let down.  Most Scarpa rock shoes also fit me well.  Compared to the average la sportiva fit, the new PT feels just a tad wider but fairly similar in volume and little sloppier in the heel.  

From what little reviews there are online, I saw a few agreeing sentiments on fit - but hey YMMV, I may just have a weird or hypersentive foot.  They feel super light though, and I was looking forward to these because of the more durable sole and normal lacing/zipper, but I'm still on the hunt.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Reviews
Post a Reply to "latest (2019) version of Scarpa Phantom Tech"