Mountain Project Logo

latest (2019) version of Scarpa Phantom Tech

Original Post
hector galbraith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

Anyone  had a chance to try out these new  Scarpa boots? Comments?

Jacob Sword · · Burbank, CA · Joined May 2019 · Points: 3

I can only comment on fit as I did not pull the trigger on them:

I have a wide-ish forefoot, regular heel, and low arch.  I felt that for me, the new phantom tech was too loose in the heel, little too low volume in the forefoot, and a bit less wide toebox than what you would expect from Scarpa.  I have not been able to compare with the previous PT model (trying to score a couple discounted pairs to try on as they are no longer in stores around me), but I can compare with the old Mont Blanc GTX (not Pro) and La Sportiva's line of ice boots.  The Mont Blanc GTX was a pretty great fit for me, I was expecting something similar from these but was let down.  Most Scarpa rock shoes also fit me well.  Compared to the average la sportiva fit, the new PT feels just a tad wider but fairly similar in volume and little sloppier in the heel.  

From what little reviews there are online, I saw a few agreeing sentiments on fit - but hey YMMV, I may just have a weird or hypersentive foot.  They feel super light though, and I was looking forward to these because of the more durable sole and normal lacing/zipper, but I'm still on the hunt.

Warren Crutcher · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2020 · Points: 0

I just got it. I was using Nepal Cubes before, except my left heel got murdered on approaches, despite any adjustments I made. Unfortunately, my heel is still messed up, so in trying on different boots, the new phantom tech was the one in which my left heel hurt the least. Compared to a nepal cube or a Trango Ice cube, these walk much easier and climb the same, for me. Also, I had to wear a 44 in Trango ice cubes, 43 in Nepal cubes, and settled on a 42.5 in the PT. Boot fit is highly personal...sad that there aren’t more shops that carry a wider selection than the usual basic Scarpa/Sportiva latest offerings.

Blake Bolton · · Boise · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

For reference, I usually rock the scarpa Mont Blanc Pros and have had a pretty good fit with those. I ordered the newest phantom techs thinking it should fit the same but the fit changed. For me the heel is way too loose. I tried a variety of solutions but nothing worked for me. Other than that the boot is fantastic. It's warm, it's light, it walks incredibly well, and for me the toe box is the most comfortable I've ever experienced in a mountaineering boot. Unfortunately for me, I just can't get past the heel lift.

Jacob Sword · · Burbank, CA · Joined May 2019 · Points: 3

I got to try the new MBPs and the last gen Phantom techs to update my comparison. I agree the MBP heel fit is nice; glove-like compared to some other boots. Not at all like what i remember of the new phantom techs.  The lower volume toebox was a no-go for me though.  Last gen phantom techs were a middle of the road heel-fit between the new phantom techs and the MBPs, the toe box was adequately roomier than both. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Reviews
Post a Reply to "latest (2019) version of Scarpa Phantom Tech"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started