Mountain Project Logo

Beginner rock climber

Bill Lawry · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,696
J T wrote:

What else should I keep in mind? How many carabiners should I take? What’s the way you set up anchor? Any beginner places you would recommend? Any tips that’ll help out?

 I rest my case.

J T · · Colorado · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 300
Bill Lawry wrote:

 I rest my case.

You equate those questions to “Tell me want to do?”  What’s the point of beginner discussion forums then?  Sharing the number to rock n resole?  Grade spraying?

Your first reply to the OP was perfect...but that other guy...
Bill Lawry · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,696

Hah. Yes, I do.  :)

Those questions are too vague to be anything more than “Tell me what to do.”

Bill Lawry · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,696

A beginner who is a student might ask ....

“What do you think about this anchor?”  ... with picture provided.

Or “I only know how to rig an anchor off a pair of bolts. Where should I go?”

And definitely not lead with “How many carabiners should I take” or “what else should I keep in mind”. Geez - no investment at all.

To my point of which you questioned,  I don’t get how anyone could think there was any student-mentor back and forth going on here. Sorry.

J T · · Colorado · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 300

Yeah maybe you’re right.  And definitely right that there’s no mentor student thing here.  But this is the beginner forum and silly questions will be asked, he didn’t need to be skewered for it.

I’ve had experienced people essentially put a blank piece of paper in front of me and ask “Can you design this for me?”  Those are the ones that piss  me off and cause me to react like Dwain.  No thought whatsoever before they play the helpless card.

Bill Lawry · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,696

It is the beginner forum, you are right. Where else would a beginner post after all.

Still, sometimes for some beginners, ya gotta tell them their placements are crap.

YMMV

J Child · · Somewhere out West · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 1,120
Bill Lawry wrote: A beginner who is a student might ask ....

“What do you think about this anchor?”  ... with picture provided.

Or “I only know how to rig an anchor off a pair of bolts. Where should I go?”

And definitely not lead with “How many carabiners should I take” or “what else should I keep in mind”. Geez - no investment at all.

To my point of which you questioned,  I don’t get how anyone could think there was any student-mentor back and forth going on here. Sorry.

In a perfect world, yes, he would have phrased his questions such. But the problem with that logic is that Ricky is thinking like a beginner and most likely does not have the vocabulary to phrase a basic question just so. A little perspective can go a long way. He reached out for help and you guys flamed the poor guy. How likely do you think he's going to ask for help now? 

J T · · Colorado · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 300
Bill Lawry wrote: It is the beginner forum, you are right. Where else would a beginner post after all.

Still, sometimes for some beginners, ya gotta tell them their placements are crap.

YMMV

Ok ok, tough love has its place 

Bill Lawry · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,696
J Child wrote:
In a perfect world, yes, he would have phrased his questions such. But the problem with that logic is that Ricky is thinking like a beginner and most likely does not have the vocabulary to phrase a basic question just so. A little perspective can go a long way. He reached out for help and you guys flamed the poor guy. How likely do you think he's going to ask for help now?

Sometimes, the beginner needs to learn how to be a student.

I only wish the best for Ricky. First lesson for him as a student must be “Ego must not be of primary importance out on the rock” ...  and ego has its’ limits on social media.
Cosmiccragsman AKA Dwain · · Las Vegas, Nevada and Apple… · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 121
,J Child wrote:

In a perfect world, yes, he would have phrased his questions such. But the problem with that logic is that Ricky is thinking like a beginner and most likely does not have the vocabulary to phrase a basic question just so. A little perspective can go a long way. He reached out for help and you guys flamed the poor guy. How likely do you think he's going to ask for help now? 

At first I did not get snarky. I offered some good advice, but I still don't believe that tips on how to set up TRs should not be given on a forum. That's best to be done in person by an instructor instruction books, or an experienced climber. What got my snark up was when He posted that he went to JT with his unexperienced friends and then came on and boasted about they didn't die, and that he knew what to do. So why then would he come to MP and ask for advice?


Then, He started a thread asking where to climb in the Riverside and Long Beach area. I guess that where I lost it. I told him, "all that info was in the MP climbing database" and then the snark came in an I said, "Do you want us to climb the rock for you also?"

After we got into the little cat fight, I did offer to take him out to get a little experience, to help keep him and his friend a little safer on the rock.

I do hope the CERT he got from the climbing gym will keep him and his friends from getting hurt or killed when out on the real rock without having the gym cert instructor,
or an experienced climber watching so they are doing things safe.
Side note: He did say he was reading some climbing books and watching climbing video instructions, so that is a good thing!

I know I'm, " pathetic", but the offer is still open to Ricky.

I go in for Surgery next Tuesday, with about a month and a half recuperating and I will be back on the Rock!
WOOHOO!!!
Bill Lawry · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,696

Dwain:   I’ll be out in JTree in the latter half of April with some others. We’ll be climbing pretty low key. PM me if you would like details.

P.S. I am absolutely certain we could work out something regarding break assisted devices.  Or maybe just dinner at our Jumbo Rocks camp site?  No pressure.

Ricky, You are welcome too.

Shiraz N · · Casper · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 7

This is the best thread on mp. Hands down. Sorry for the interruption. Please continue. 

Cosmiccragsman AKA Dwain · · Las Vegas, Nevada and Apple… · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 121
Bill Lawry wrote: Dwain:   I’ll be out in JTree in the latter half of April with some others. We’ll be climbing pretty low key. PM me if you would like details.

P.S. I am absolutely certain we could work out something regarding break assisted devices.  Or maybe just dinner at our Jumbo Rocks camp site?  No pressure.

Ricky, You are welcome too.
PM sent 2nd PM includes ph#

Edit:Is it ok if I bring my Parrot?

Bill Lawry · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,696

Yes - pet owners DO start to look like their pets after a while.

Any chance my hair will return to being as thick as hers (below)? ;)


Replied to your PMs with my information and details.  Looking forward to meeting you, Dwain!
Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
J T wrote: Yeah maybe you’re right.  And definitely right that there’s no mentor student thing here.  But this is the beginner forum and silly questions will be asked, he didn’t need to be skewered for it.
Reread the first 3 pages of this thread (not the other one about where to climb nearby) - no one was skewering Ricky until he came back with the butthurt attitude. And I think the animosity that developed in that other thread carried back to this one.
Cosmiccragsman AKA Dwain · · Las Vegas, Nevada and Apple… · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 121
Bill Lawry wrote: Yes - pet owners DO start to look like their pets after a while.

Any chance my hair will return to being as thick as hers (below)? ;)

Replied to your PMs with my information and details.  Looking forward to meeting you, Dwain!
Was your Dad, Frank Zappa?  :-)


Bill Lawry · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,696
Cosmiccragsman AKA Dwain wrote: Was your Dad, Frank Zappa?  :-)


I get the likeness with the facial hair.  But those curly locks I never had - same for the musical ability.

That said, I can accept people might see a likeness with "Hope you guessed my name". ;)
joffy Jenkins · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2019 · Points: 0
Bill Lawry wrote: Hah. Yes, I do.  :)

Those questions are too vague to be anything more than “Tell me what to do.”

Wholeheartedly agree with you. With the wealth of knowledge that's on Google, typing that question onto there and researching it for 30 minutes could have taught them a lot.

Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,374

Cosmiccragsman AKA Dwain · wrote:
I go in for Surgery next Tuesday, with about a month and a half recuperating and I will be back on the Rock!
WOOHOO!!!

There Ya Go!  You got this, dude ! !

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Beginning Climbers
Post a Reply to "Beginner rock climber"

Log In to Reply