Mountain Project Logo

Psycho Climber in Joshua Tree!

John Penca · · North Little Rock · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 0
Cpn Dunsel wrote: Violence is the last act of the incompetent.

Umm, in case you haven't noticed, the world is full of incompetence and violence.

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35

If I left a camera or lost one, upon return, if there wasn't something seriously ridiculous on it I would be very disappointed.

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,605
Cpn Dunsel wrote:"Violence is the last act of the incompetent."                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   -Tradiban
Fixed that for you!
Murf · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 2,061
Tradiban Wrote: Fixed that for you!

No dipshit, it was Issaac Asimov.  As I recall it was from the first book of the Foundation Series.  Pretty good pull on his part.  Your pedestrian turn of phrase couldn't have come up with it.

If I may break the 4th wall, just for moment...

Pretty clear what happened here, some silly dirty bags played a prank on roided out dirty bag and roid lost his cool, spewing misogynistic and homophobic slurs to try an instigate a fight and when  the silly dirty bags shrugged him off, he got even more angry and got physical.

I don't think I'm breaking any taboos when I say it is NEVER appropriate to aggressively grab someone when you aren't acting in total self-defense. Gumby made the smart move by trying to >> >> deescalate the situation and NOT return the physical aggressiveness. Had Gumby been physically hurt by this aggressor there could definitely be a serious legal issue, the reason for the aggressiveness, regardless of how silly and stupid it was, is not relevant.

It is not "macho" or "cool" to beat someone up, not in defense of your girl, or your car, or you fucking video camera. It's a pathetic display of weakness of mind and spirit.

I think the aggressor owes these guys an apology, something along the lines of "Sorry, I lost my cool" will do.  I don't really give a fuck if that happens or not, Gumby is a man and doesn't need the satisfaction anyway. I'm just happy to imagine the aggressor rethinking his actions a bit and perhaps changing his behavior in the future.

Carry on my puppets!

No, please don't break the 4th wall.   The troll may be a required role in today's internets forum.  You may actually be good at it. That being said, the type of people who sit and craft posts and responses purely to yank other folks chains ( we are talking about you again, can you feel the tingle? ) aren't the ones who get to stand back and say "I think the aggressors owes".  In any place other than anonymous forums ( like in person ), most of the disingenuous bullshit you do would put you in an uncomfortable place.

On to other dipshit's:
Gumby the White:  The part you are missing, is that the assault happened conveniently when my friends roped up and started climbing. It wasn't my turn so I was hanging out waiting. Then out of no where the dude came up and thats when the shit happened. Almost like he was waiting to try and single me out. Pretty fucking soft move if you ask me.

As for going through someone's shit. It was left in the open at the base of the climb. Hardly "rummaging" through someone's shit. If anything, it should have been "booty". All climbers take booty. 
First off, you're on FF.  If some crazed lunatic rushed me, my partners would be on the ground in like a second.  Granted they'd be grabbing their backs from the quick drop 'cuase we gots AARP cards, but it ain't like yer 150' out on a 160' rope.  Your friends are cowards.

And let's be clear, I'm told the gear was stashed.   That is to say, out of sight, unable to be seen casually from the base of the route.  It was cached for less than 3 hours.  You know, the time it would take to go back to the car, make some tea, take a nap.  Maybe not enough time to change out of a onsie that I shite in because I got caught potentially stealing a fellow climbers gear.

So maybe a different narrative:

I hit up FF, maybe just drop gear, do a few burns, who's to say.  I cache my gear away from the casual observer. I come back a few hours later and I have someone who appears to feel like my rope belongs on his pile of gear.  My camera, which I use all the time and don't quite want to replace right now,  is also not where I'm comfortable with.  Are these dudes planning on taking my property with them?

Plus I'm bald, and you've seen video's where I crush your projects.  I'm pretty strong, and you think I'm on 'roids ( I gotta tell you this one made me laugh out loud ...  I was hoping that maybe the story had the bald guy in a TapOut shirt, that would have actually been funny).   Maybe I'm one of those people you've been a dick to on the interwebs.  If I walked around with the weight of the stupid shit you and tradiban say, I'd be scared too.

So back to this "aggressor".  You're gear appears to be in the middle of a slooowwww shanghai.

What would you do?  
What would Bachar do?

Putting any of this on the interwebs when you knew full well who it was as a troll and hit job?  That may very well make me even more angry.

In your place Gumby, I'd message the Bald Strong Guy and clear the air.  Maybe ask your dad for advice.

Murf
Greg Davis · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 10

Just FYI, it's SBD. Strong Bald Dude.

Grandpa Dave · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 5
John Penca wrote: Haven't read all the posts here, but count me in the camp that says don't fuck with someone else's stuff.  I don't care where it is.  If you do, you better be ready for unpleasant consequences.

Seriously, this!

Dave Clark · · Los Angeles · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 0

Just FYI, It's WWBD?

caughtinside · · Oakland CA · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 1,450

Murf - this is so great. You are in a unique position to obtain the video evidence the furbies planted on SBDs camcorder and post it here - to make this thread complete!

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,605
Murf wrote:
No dipshit, it was Issaac Asimov.  As I recall it was from the first book of the Foundation Series.  Pretty good pull on his part.  Your pedestrian turn of phrase couldn't have come up with it. Tradiban IS God.

No, please don't break the 4th wall.   The troll may be a required role in today's internets forum.  You may actually be good at it. That being said, the type of people who sit and craft posts and responses purely to yank other folks chains ( we are talking about you again, can you feel the tingle? ) aren't the ones who get to stand back and say "I think the aggressors owes".  In any place other than anonymous forums ( like in person ), most of the disingenuous bullshit you do would put you in an uncomfortable place.

On to other dipshit's:First off, you're on FF.  If some crazed lunatic rushed me, my partners would be on the ground in like a second.  Granted they'd be grabbing their backs from the quick drop 'cuase we gots AARP cards, but it ain't like yer 150' out on a 160' rope.  Your friends are cowards.

And let's be clear, I'm told the gear was stashed.   That is to say, out of sight, unable to be seen casually from the base of the route.  It was cached for less than 3 hours.  You know, the time it would take to go back to the car, make some tea, take a nap.  Maybe not enough time to change out of a onsie that I shite in because I got caught potentially stealing a fellow climbers gear.

So maybe a different narrative:

I hit up FF, maybe just drop gear, do a few burns, who's to say.  I cache my gear away from the casual observer. I come back a few hours later and I have someone who appears to feel like my rope belongs on his pile of gear.  My camera, which I use all the time and don't quite want to replace right now,  is also not where I'm comfortable with.  Are these dudes planning on taking my property with them?

Plus I'm bald, and you've seen video's where I crush your projects.  I'm pretty strong, and you think I'm on 'roids ( I gotta tell you this one made me laugh out loud ...  I was hoping that maybe the story had the bald guy in a TapOut shirt, that would have actually been funny).   Maybe I'm one of those people you've been a dick to on the interwebs.  If I walked around with the weight of the stupid shit you and tradiban say, I'd be scared too.

So back to this "aggressor".  You're gear appears to be in the middle of a slooowwww shanghai.

What would you do?  
What would Bachar do?

Putting any of this on the interwebs when you knew full well who it was as a troll and hit job?  That may very well make me even more angry.

In your place Gumby, I'd message the Bald Strong Guy and clear the air.  Maybe ask your dad for advice.

Murf

Show us on the doll where The Tradiban hurt you.

. · · souf yeast · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 1,014

TL;DR

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Murf · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 2,061

Tradiban - you are so basic.

Dot - I'm your dash.

GD - I stand corrected.

Gumby - get yer house in order.

Fan Yang - Yer a subbie.

D. Evans · · Tustin, California · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 190

It’s not hypothetical. The dumb shit who started this whole thread is the culprit. Some punk saw where somebody stashed their stuff and violated the ultimate rule of climbing. Don’t fuck with other peoples shit.
He then proceeded to see that he has scored a new rope camera tripod etc. and was playing around with his new booty when he was caught by the owner.
Dumb fuck got caught red-handed. Better own up to it or retreat from the climbing world where real people know what shit happens.
Go away. Louis Anderson never figured it out but he had to move to Wyoming.

Brian ~+~+~+ · · Oceanside · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0

Gumby, this whole situation somewhat reminds me when I was a dumb Las Vegas teenager sitting passenger in my friends Datsun truck. Cruising around, we passed some older dudes who gave us stares. My friend, the driver, flipped them off.
Then we all stopped at a red light. Together. They were in the lane to the left of us.
The passenger of the other car got out of their car and started pulling my friend out of his truck as he tried locking the door and not get yanked out into the middle
of the lanes. The angry guy was yelling “you want to act like a bitch, you’ll get fucked like a bitch.” Finally the guy returned to his car and they drove off as the light turned green. Never saw them again.

Your actions matter. That guy taught me something, plus it’s a hilarious road rage story. My friend was upset and continued to do dumb shit. But I was listening. 

Poway Original · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2019 · Points: 0

Haha, looks like the gangs all here.  Let’s ease up the throttle on the alcohol maybe.

Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 883
D. Evans wrote:and violated the ultimate rule of climbing. Don’t fuck with other peoples shit.
Im so glad I read this post. All along I thought the ultimate rule of climbing is “never let go of the brake” or “always check your knot” or “always tie knots in your rappel rope”. Low and behold, it is “don’t fuck with other people’s shit”. Who knew. 
Gumby the Younger · · Hispania · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 0

Whining on the net about almost getting hurt is the act of a coward.

J T · · Colorado · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 300
Gumby the White wrote:Really hesitant to talk about it....

Glad you decided to share.  Funny stuff.  Next time, maybe resist the urge to disrespect people’s property.

revans90 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 50
J T wrote:

Glad you decided to share.  Funny stuff.  Next time, maybe resist the urge to disrespect people’s property.

Or don’t get caught???

As in do better...
Doug Lintz · · Kearney, NE · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 1,155
Tradiban wrote:

Show us on the doll where The Tradiban hurt you.

Here?  Maybe?

C'mon.  Your last "attempt" was 2/10, at best.

Tony Sartin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 235

My buddy told me this hilarious story years ago. Him and a friend were climbing at the Kern Limestone, which is located up a steep hill above the parking. They were way up there climbing when one of them noticed a group of 3 thugs hauling their large ice chest out of the back of my buddy’s pickup truck. Of course, my buddy and his partner started yelling at the intruders but, with the river below, the wind, and the distance, their cries went unheard. They quickly lowered off, untied, and hauled ass downhill to confront this gang of thieves. As they descended, they tracked the gangs direction and chose a path that would most likely intercept them. Lower down the hill My buddy got seperated from his partner in the thick, dense brush. He continued his intended direction alone until he heard the voices of his target. At that point he made a critical decision. He knew that he was going to be confronting three Kernville tweakers who were obviously criminals. Would they have a knife or gun? He knew he had to make a great first lmpression. It probably wouldn’t have been prudent to confront them with, “Hey guys, that’s my ice chest! Could you please give it back? (Try that line late at night, in the hood, on a group of gangbangers who are jacking your car.) By the way, my buddy who I’m telling you this story about is a really sweet guy. He never gets angry or starts conflicts. He’s also not a big, burly guy that you would avoid in a bar. He’s lean and sinewy and luckily, for this story, he was sporting a shaved head, but in reality he’s quite the teddy bear. As he approached the voices, he did something fully out of character. He began to rip off his shirt and confronted the gang of three in a completely improvised state of rage. His face was beet red with neck veins bulging as he hit the gang with a barrage of threats and swear words, spit flying as he read them the riot act. Phrases like, “Where the f@#k are you bitches going with my shit?” and “Do you even know who you’re f@#kin with?” and “I’m gonna have you dig me a deep hole so when I rip your f@#kin head off I have a place to bury it.” and other phrases to that effect, all while spewing mad-dog saliva into their faces throughout his rant. It was a gamble, but it paid off. The thieves consisted of two men and a woman. One of the men was bigger and meatier than my buddy. The woman could probably have sat on my buddy and suffocated him. In the end, it didn’t matter. Even though he was out numbered 3 to 1, my buddy flipped the script on how this scenario should have played out. He admitted later that they were a motley crew who he’d normally steer clear of. In the minute or two that it took for my buddy’s partner to catch up and locate the unfolding drama, he had these thugs back peddling and begging forgiveness. They then ordered the hooligans to carry the heavy chest the quarter mile back to the truck. As they hiked back, the sad sacks pleaded for mercy, saying they were hungry and just looking for a meal. Upon returning to the truck and delivering the stolen goods back to the scene of the crime, they attempted to scurry away with their tails between their legs. My buddy stayed in character and said, “where the f@#k do you think you’re going? Sit your asses down on the curb and shut the f@#k up.” They must have assumed that my buddy was holding them until the cops showed up, because the woman started crying. Instead, he made them all sandwiches. When he handed a sandwich to the woman and she refused  to accept it, he countered with, “Stop your belly aching you dumb b@#ch. I made you this sandwich and now you’re gonna stuff your pie hole with it.” She sobbed as she proceeded to take a bite.

Point is, when you are approaching a situation in which you are being or have been violated, and you are outnumbered, you best walk into that situation as an alpha, showing a lot of self confidence.
In this Joshua Tree instance, why wouldn’t the victim assume that the shit kickers violating his property also pose a physical threat to his well being? Put yourself in the victims shoes. You are out enjoying Joshua Tree. You open your pack and grab your shoes and chalkbag and begin wandering the immediate area to do some bouldering. After a good long session, you come back to your pack to find some questionable folks going through your pack and handling your possessions. Do they already have your wallet? Credit Cards? Your car keys? Will they now attack you in order to silence you, since you’ve caught them red handed? They do have you out numbered. What to do, what to do.

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.