Mountain Project Logo

Current Avalanche Conditions - Las Vegas

Original Post
Alex Fletcher · · Anaheim, CA · Joined May 2016 · Points: 249

I’d like to go ski touring around Mt Charleston and ski some of the peaks this winter.

Where can I find current info on Avi danger?

I know this isn’t an ideal ski location - the desert Southwest- but it’s where I live and it’s what I have regular access to.

I’ve taken Avi 1, have a beacon, shovel, probe, and a touring setup. 

Weston L · · NEVADASTAN · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 851

There is no avalanche forecast for the area - as always, it is your own responsibility to evaluate conditions.  That being said, I do not believe the current snowpack would lend itself toward quality touring.

Alex Fletcher · · Anaheim, CA · Joined May 2016 · Points: 249

Could you explain what you mean about not being quality touring conditions?

Not enough snow? Or what?

Would there be a better time than between January and March?

MKGreen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 15

With Mt. Charleston, it’s not really about the month, it’s about recent precipitation and cold temperatures. We received a nice dump over Thanksgiving along with a few smaller storms so the early season touring was pretty good. There hasn’t been much precipitation in the past few weeks - I was hiking up there last weekend and I had on microspikes which were ideal for the firm conditions.

The quality of touring varies year-to-year. Last winter was great and there wasn’t a need to go out of town. The winter of 2017-2018 was bone-dry and Lee Canyon did not even run one of their chairs all season. This winter is looking like it will be somewhere in between.

Lee Canyon does not charge for in-bounds skinning - it has to be done during normal operating hours and a pass must be obtained from the ticket office.

And Weston L is correct that there is no avalanche forecast for the Spring Mountains so extra caution must be taken when evaluating conditions. The winter of 2016-2017 had some pretty serious avalanches. That winter I saw the aftermath of a big avalanche on Griffith Peak on the Kyle Canyon side a day or two after it occurred. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "Current Avalanche Conditions - Las Vegas"