Mountain Project Logo

Bottom 15 Worst States to Rock Climb

Original Post
James W · · Texas · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 94

Based off my opinion that means nothing, a list of what I believe the states to be the worst if you are rock climberRanking was based on quality rock climbs that aren't boulder routes per state, and approximation to other climbing areas without having to fly or take a private yacht. Talking to you Florida. Some states may rank higher even if they don't have any quality crags but may neighbor a state with world class stone.

50. Florida
49. Nebraska
48. Mississippi
47. Louisiana
46. North Dakota
45. Kansas 44. Delaware
43. New Jersey 
42. Rhode Island 41. Hawaii 
40. Connecticut
39. Michigan

38. South Carolina37. Indiana
36. Iowa

Can anyone vouch for these states being ranked higher or lower than they are?

Cpn Dunsel · · Salting The Earth Beneath Y… · Joined Jan 2003 · Points: 135

This is important work.

A Phd should be awarded for such in depth, insightful and significant project such as this.  Many many people will really be assisted by this seminal work.

Kudos.  Time well spent, no doubt.

TomZ · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 5

Connecticut? I'm confused.

the schmuck · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 115

Man, no love for Hawaii. I had some really nice climbing days there. 

simplyput . · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 60

Just had to make himself feel better being from Texas and all...

Matt Thomsen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 232

I would say Ohio should be on that list. 

Perry Norris · · Truckee · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 45

Don't see how you can put Iowa and Indiana above South Carolina. Check out Table Rock; there's a page on mountain project.  

Long Ranger · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 331

Cue that guy that keeps posting glacial erratic boulders in CT/NY thinking they're a big deal.

Christian DuBois · · Boston, MA · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 5
TomZ wrote: Connecticut? I'm confused.

It’s not because the climbing sucks (it doesn’t) it’s because it’s Connecticut (which sucks). That would be my guess.

Brian Abram · · Celo, NC · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 483

Regarding South Carolina:
https://www.mountainproject.com/area/108510391/table-rock
https://www.mountainproject.com/area/113573351/big-rock-mountain

Metolius' Facebook page main banner photo is Will Stanhope climbing in South Carolina:
https://www.facebook.com/metoliusclimbing/

And LOTS of NC stuff is within 30 minutes of the border. You can live in Columbia in the middle of the state and be at just about any NC crag in 2-3 hours, NRG in 5 hours, and RRG in 6:45. No, it's not like living in a destination climbing area, but it's not as bad as many might imagine
Dave Cramer · · Greenfield, MA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 3

Connecticut has excellent trad climbing, and the very best pizza.

Dave Cramer wrote: Connecticut has excellent trad climbing, and the very best pizza.

Pizza's good, I'll admit. Anything is better than pizza in Colorado. Don't even. 

Shane Bonness · · West Lafayette, IN · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 120

Indiana is definitely worse than Connecticut and South Carolina.

Duncan Domingue · · Lafayette, LA · Joined May 2015 · Points: 0

I'd probably swap Mississippi and Louisiana. I think on average you're closer to rock climbing from anywhere in Mississippi versus anywhere in Louisiana. Also, I heard there's a secret boulder field somewhere in Mississippi. As far as I know, there's literally one climbable rock in Louisiana, and that's Wolf Rock Cave, the only known rock shelter in our entire state. For all of antiquity, if you were in Louisiana you either made a shelter or hid under a tree, there was nothing else to protect you from the weather.

And if it's like the rest of the "rock" I've come across in Kisatchie National Forest, it's even less durable than the Fisher Towers in Utah. It's basically firm dirt.

Connor Dobson · · Bay Area, CA · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 95
Christian DuBois wrote:

It’s not because the climbing sucks (it doesn’t) it’s because it’s Connecticut (which sucks). That would be my guess.

Then why wouldn't Colorado be on the list.

Will K · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 0

Im from Iowa and your ranking seems appropriate. We have some weirdly fun slimestone

Christopher Smaling · · Sonora, CA · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 15

Indiana has to be bottom 10, climbing is illegal on state land

Doug Lintz · · Kearney, NE · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 1,155
Long Ranger wrote:

Pizza's good, I'll admit. Anything is better than pizza in Colorado. Don't even. 

Dude!! What are you even talking about??  There's this place called Little Caesars.  Not sure if they're nationwide yet, but there's a bunch of them in Colorado.  Worth the visit to Colorado for their za man!!

Doug Lintz wrote:

Dude!! What are you even talking about??  There's this place called Little Caesars.  Not sure if they're nationwide yet, but there's a bunch of them in Colorado.  Worth the visit to Colorado for their za man!!

"Za"?! You mean, "Suh", don't you? DON'T YOU!

rock junkie · · CO/WY · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

You gotta toss Alaska in there, maybe before Michigan? The rock is mostly choss, moss covered choss, a mission to get too, or all of the above. A fun plus, the tiny climbing community is more interested in squabbling and petty bolt wars (and arguing over the pettiness of their chossy bolt wars?) than climbing. All I can say is those winters must be rough...

EFS · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 155
James W wrote:Based off my opinion that means nothing, a list of what I believe the states to be the worst if you are rock climberRanking was based on quality rock climbs that aren't boulder routes per state, and approximation to other climbing areas without having to fly or take a private yacht. Talking to you Florida. Some states may rank higher even if they don't have any quality crags but may neighbor a state with world class stone.

50. Florida
49. Nebraska
48. Mississippi
47. Louisiana
46. North Dakota
45. Kansas 44. Delaware
43. New Jersey 
42. Rhode Island 41. Hawaii 
40. Connecticut
39. Michigan

38. South Carolina37. Indiana
36. Iowa

Can anyone vouch for these states being ranked higher or lower than they are?

while i agree nj sucks, especially for climbing, the water gap is nowhere as bad as most make it seem (and most who comment about the rock quality in the same sentence admit they have never even been there). its also within easy driving distance of plenty of crags, including as close as an hour to the gunks, way closer to some pa crags, a few hours to seneca, etc...theres even some hidden stuff here that is very low key. i figured it would at least be in the top 40.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Bottom 15 Worst States to Rock Climb"