Mountain Project Logo

Anyone interested in forming a Climbers for Christ Chapter in Phoenix?

Original Post
Anthony Hugo Almanza · · Phoenix, AZ · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 420

Hi I was curious if they're are any other folks who would be interested in creating a Climbers for Christ chapter in Phoenix?
They're seems to be some large chapters in Southern California and Vegas, but unfortunately none here as of yet.

Hope everyones day is going well!

manuel rangel · · Arizona · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 4,007

God bless you. I hope we can keep religion out of this, please? I pray to God every time I fall. Isn't that enough? If you really want me to add Christ to the prayer, I'm going to take longer falls. 

Bill Lawry · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,696

Good luck, Anthony. Christianity doesn't fit in my beliefs.  But most of us do indeed prefer to be around like-minded folks.

Cpn Dunsel · · Salting The Earth Beneath Y… · Joined Jan 2003 · Points: 135

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

~ Mahatma Ghandi

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

The anti-religion crowd strikes back! Can't help themselves.

Cpn Dunsel · · Salting The Earth Beneath Y… · Joined Jan 2003 · Points: 135
FrankPS wrote: The anti-religion crowd strikes back! Can't help themselves.

Teaching children religion is one of the worst forms of child abuse in the modern world.

You have my condolences if you have been abused in this fashion.  I hope you get the help you need and can make a full recovery.

Fritz Nuffer · · The Western Slope · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 445
Cpn Dunsel wrote:

Teaching children religion is one of the worst forms of child abuse in the modern world.

I’m sorry to hear that you think that, but I respectfully disagree. Not entirely sure an MP discussion is going to change either of our minds, though.

If, however, people are going to go down this road today and engage in a debate, then please, everyone, define your terms.
Don Ferris III · · Eldorado Springs · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 175

My terms are:

• All belief systems are equal. Scientology = Christianity = Islam, etc. 
  • I will not coddle the willfully ignorant including your children. 
  • “God” does not exist and religion is a scam. Repeat.  
Bill Lawry · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,696

My terms - though this is  probably my last post on this thread:

• Live and let live
  • Meet proselytism with proselytism (i.e., Scientology = Christianity = Islam = Agnosticism, etc..)
Dan Daugherty · · Virginia Beach, VA · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 5

I'm agnostic and all for having discussion on the fallacies of organized religion, especially when it's at the detriment of others. That's not the case here and all the dude wants is to find like minded climbers to climb with.
Would the folks who are bashing religion on this thread be doing the same if he was looking at forming a club for climbers with only 9 fingers?

Don Ferris III · · Eldorado Springs · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 175
Dan Daugherty wrote: I'm agnostic and all for having discussion on the fallacies of organized religion, especially when it's at the detriment of others. That's not the case here and all the dude wants is to find like minded climbers to climb with.
Would the folks who are bashing religion on this thread be doing the same if he was looking at forming a club for climbers with only 9 fingers?

9 fingered climbers aren’t walking around perpetuating willful ignorance.  Also, low hanging fruit. 

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,605

I'm going to pray for you all.

Dan Daugherty · · Virginia Beach, VA · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 5
Don Ferris III wrote:

9 fingered climbers aren’t walking around perpetuating willful ignorance.  Also, low hanging fruit. 

I agree, though I don't like absolutes, so I'd prefix that with most. But, again, what does that have to do with him trying to find other climbers who have some common traits?

grog m · · Saltlakecity · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

You can leave the church, but you can't leave it alone.

I have 9 fingers, I prefer climbing with 10 fingered partners : )

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,482
Cpn Dunsel wrote:

There are just too many gods to chose from. What of Zeus? No one loves that guy anymore, except Hollywood of course. He still gets a film role here and there, and rightly so. The ladies love dat Zeus.
Matt Pierce · · Denver, CO · Joined May 2010 · Points: 278

Fuck no

Adam Ronchetti · · Madison, WI · Joined May 2011 · Points: 25

Just posting as someone that was approached by a Climber for Christ. I would advise against talking to people and then concluding the conversation by handing them a card alluding to Jesus being the ultimate belayer. Not sure if that was just the person I was talking to or an organizational thing as a whole.

The person I was talking to was actually a pretty cool guy but that card soured the whole experience. 

Tony B · · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 23,404

I'm trying to figure out how the hell (pardon the expression) it bothers people so much that the O.P. wants to organize a social/religious thing with like-minded folks.
Why should some interaction between consenting adults that does not involve you bug you so much?  If you are not interested, then don't be interested.  Problem solved.

Matthew Bertolatus · · Minneapolis, MN · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 55

If you're not interested in the group maybe just don't post in this thread?  

Tony B · · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 23,404
Tradiban wrote: I'm going to pray for you all.

I'd expect that to have exactly the opposite effect of the intended.

Eric · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 5
Tony B wrote: I'm trying to figure out how the hell (pardon the expression) it bothers people so much that the O.P. wants to organize a social/religious thing with like-minded folks.
Why should some interaction between consenting adults that does not involve you bug you so much?  If you are not interested, then don't be interested.  Problem solved.

Isn't it awful?

I haven't seen the forum this united in crapping on someone before, and the poor guy just wants to climb with other Christians.

I'd rather climb with OP and his friends than the arrogant midwits in this thread
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "Anyone interested in forming a Climbers for Chr…"