Mountain Project Logo

Mystery crag in Garner Valley -- Anyone recognize?

Original Post — This topic is locked and closed to new replies
Luke S · · Salt Lake City · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 85

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me the name or more information about this crag in Garner Valley (San Jacinto Mountains). It's hard to tell from the photo, but it's about 60ft high and broadly located in the Morris Ranch area.

It was a bit too snowy in Idyllwild this week, so I was messing around in the area. I found 3 bolted routes here that don't seem to be on mountain project. The hand crack off to the far left was really sweet, had bolt anchors, and a nice bolt for protection near the top when the crack ends (maybe 10b/c). There were also two sport climbs around the left side. One was too hard for me (maybe 11c - 12b). The other was a really fun 10c/d with a nice undercling and fun reachy crux move near the top.

This might be The Diamond (https://www.mountainproject.com/area/110303552/the-diamond), but it would be great if someone could confirm.

I'd also love to add these routes to mtn project, but figure that whoever bolted them might be the better person for that.
Jan Tarculas · · Riverside, Ca · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 927

Did you check out the GPS coordinates from where you climbed and the location of what you posted?

x15x15 · · Use Ignore Button · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 275

No, that is not the diamond.

Routes are scattered all over GV and honestly, no reason to put every last chunk of choss in the data base.

Luke S · · Salt Lake City · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 85

I thought both the crack and the easy sport route could both be worthy of 3 stars. And it wasn’t too chossy.

Unfortunately, I didn’t get coordinates. I will next time though.

Why?

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,610

If posted this crag will surely be overrun by noobs.

Just post it. If no one wants to give up the names then you are free to name it all.

Tradiban wrote: If posted this crag will surely be overrun by noobs.
Ha!!! No it won't. You are such a kidder.  Not a lot at that crag, and definitely not 3 star climbing either. It's just one of many small outcroppings that sport bolts in GV.

Just post it. If no one wants to give up the names then you are free to name it all.
Hell yeah you are. What a great way to spend your time. Make up names for climbs you've done, that were established before you were born. Damn, sounds fun...
just don't get eaten by the Great Rock Sharks that lurk in the So Cal chaparral...
Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349
Luke Sherman wrote:

...........I'd also love to add these routes to mtn project, but figure that whoever bolted them might be the better person for that.

Luke.... respectfully, I’d like to ask this question. 

Did you have a good time hiking out to some unknown chunk of stone that caught your eye from a distance? I assume you were with some friends. Did you and your friends have a blast while climbing these roots and comparing thoughts? Wasn’t it nice to be out there alone, to not wait in a line, while down the crag a bit, some idiot is giving his GF beta- for every move? Don’t ya think this might be a nice spot to bring your friends to on crazy crowded days in Idyllwild? 
IMHO one of the best things about being a “climber” who has been at the sport for a while is the knowledge about “unknown” crags. There is real value in having a “database” sitting on your shoulders and using it. 
Happy climbing. 
Uri Erubey · · Escondido, CA · Joined May 2018 · Points: 46

Nah, post it. If the approach is more than 30 minutes, secret or not people arent going to be there.

Maybe it will even funnel people out of the classic climbs we all want to get on.

Just watch yourself out here. The crows and ravens are hungry this time of year. Always on the lookout for the easy meal...

FWIW... GV is filled with these gems. Lifetimes worth of bouldering and cragging. Yet, mostly conducive to bouldering. And, for each gem you find, 12 crumbled at your finger tips while on your hunt.

Julie W · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 0

GV is all choss, if you're in the area visiting, time is better spent @ Black, Tahquitz or JTree IMO

If you are local-ish there's a quiet place do a few laps in peace.

Just leave it be...

Check out Simpson Park in Hemet too-

Edited: or Holcomb ;)

Julie J. wrote: 
Just leave it for x15x15...

There you go Julie, I fixed it for you!!!...

x15x15 wrote:

There you go Julie, I fixed it for you!!!...

yea yeah.. just pick up your damn beer bottles!!!   

Edit to reply! (whoa I hit a post limit?? LOL)
haha, I do, but I always pick mine up (PLUS THE CAPS!) although you might not be as slick as you think for the amount I've found... Stone anyone?? ;) All love though Phil, I'll see ya'll out there, and I'll probably have an extra brew for ya too.
Julie J. wrote:

yea yeah.. just pick up your damn beer bottles!!!   

Bottles are so old school. You'll never see my litter... are they yours? I saw a Lagunitas at X crack... you drink Lagunitas, eh? :>p 

My Edit back at Julie J...Yah, don't you hate these post limits!!! And they think it helps with civility! BTW, Stone is also so old school too. Last couple GV seasons I've been sporting SWAMIS Double IPA, or DIPA as it's called. All cans girl!!!

I saw some chalk out there scattered around yesterday. Yours?

And of course it would be awesome to  run into you out there. We can share our litter theories over fine ales in person... always better imho...
J Verg · · Idyllwild, CA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 95

I’ve grown very fond of GV, but mostly for the solitude. It’s best kept this way. Isn’t Josh good this time of year anyways?

J Verg wrote: I’ve grown very fond of GV, but mostly for the solitude. It’s best kept this way. Isn’t Josh good this time of year anyways?

Red Rocks is better.

The locals do like to drop in on unsuspecting adventurers. Careful out there!!...

J Verg · · Idyllwild, CA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 95
x15x15 wrote: The locals do like to drop in on unsuspecting adventurers. Careful out there!!...

Gotta watch out for vicious K9s too
J Verg wrote:

Gotta watch out for vicious K9s too

That's one Locolocal I'm glad I haven't run into up in them hills! Not sure I'd make it out alive...

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started