Mountain Project Logo

What do you hate seeing in older climbers?

Original Post
Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,482

So this is in fact for bashing Old Climbers, and who care about the other thread anyway? This one has legs

My least favorite Old Climber trait? The endless sanctimoniousness. OMG. The lectures about leave no trace. The endless advice lacking humorous stories of when they were noobs and sucked balls.

revans90 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 50

blaming their general lack of climbing talent on their equipment used

Mark Pilate · · MN · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 10

Tim’s right.   Too much posturing goes on in climber circles.  We were all Noobs once.  
in fact, I remember once when I was a total Noob and headed out to Colorado the first time.  I had been climbing for less than a year, but thought I had my shit dialed in and was gonna tick a classic.  Turns out, My partner and I couldn’t even find the start of the route, let alone stay on route.  Went up Intending to do the Casual route, but wound up on D7.  We kept thinking “this Colorado 5.10 is a bit stiff”.   Boy were we sheepish afterwards.

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,647

Anything that starts with “back in my day...”

beensandbagged · · smallest state · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 0
revans90 wrote: blaming their general lack of climbing talent on their equipment used

This is a great idea I have to try this, whenever I have a hard time I blame it on being old,fat, and out of shape

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,605

Claiming they never would have used a power drill even if it was available in the 1900s.

Josh Lipko · · Charlotte · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 10

“I’d love to see that boulderer climb a 5.9+ crack” as if a strong boulderer wouldn’t master a relatively simple type of climbing very quickly if they cared to try it

Ma Ja · · Red River Gorge · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 109
  1. Not taking out new climbers to teach them the ways of a respectable cragger, and also how annoying Bluetooth Speakers are
  2. Needing different shoes, depending on what they're climbing (guilty)
  3. Complaining about how there's too many climbers at the crag, but never developing anything new in their life to disperse the crowds
  4. Not respecting Red Tag projects. Dicks. (Professional Climbers at the Red, cough-Megos-cough)
  5. Not contributing money/hardware/time to your local developers, but climbing all their new routes
  6. Generally being a tourist and never giving back to your local climbing community
  7. Talking shit about the GriGri Plus, when it's obviously the best one
  8. Being able to travel and climb for an entire year without sharing your secrets with the rest of us
wonderwoman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 93

I just assume that people hate seeing me.

the schmuck · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 115
Mark Pilate wrote: Tim’s right.   Too much posturing goes on in climber circles.  We were all Noobs once.  
in fact, I remember once when I was a total Noob and headed out to Colorado the first time.  I had been climbing for less than a year, but thought I had my shit dialed in and was gonna tick a classic.  Turns out, My partner and I couldn’t even find the start of the route, let alone stay on route.  Went up Intending to do the Casual route, but wound up on D7.  We kept thinking “this Colorado 5.10 is a bit stiff”.   Boy were we sheepish afterwards.

Total noob from the Midwest with less than one year experience sends D7 by accident. That’s pretty hardcore. 

Mark Pilate · · MN · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 10

Schmuck - to clarify, I was joking and being ironic about posturing and humble bragging.  

the schmuck · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 115
Mark Pilate wrote: Schmuck - to clarify, I was joking and being ironic about posturing and humble bragging.  

It’s not completely out of the realm of possibility, especially with a few points of aid, but would still be pretty hardcore. Anyway, enough with thread drift...sorry. 

Chris Hatzai · · Bend, OR · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 832

Hearing ”im too old.” Hate that shit!

Tradiban wrote: Claiming they never would have used a power drill even if it was available in the 1900s.

Cesare Maestri anyone? MFer even left the compressor for the drill. LNT he was not.

GabeO · · New Haven, CT · Joined May 2006 · Points: 302

I hate when I show up at a new crag, I'm still on the approach trail with my pack on, looking at my guidebook, obviously trying to get oriented, and some old fart gloms onto me and assumes I'm a n00b because he's here at this same damn crag every weekend, and he's never seen me before.  He wants to spray me down about all the 5.easy routes I should try, and won't shut up about all the gear beta he has completely memorized for all of them.  Dude, I just got here, maybe give me two minutes to put my bag down, get oriented, and then maybe we can strike up a conversation.  I know you're trying to be friendly, and you're also trying to show everyone else in your party how much you know.  So... um... cool it please.

B P · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2019 · Points: 0
Ma Ja wrote
  1. Being able to travel and climb for an entire year without sharing your secrets with the rest of us

Its called a career

wonderwoman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 93
GabeO wrote: I hate when I show up at a new crag, I'm still on the approach trail with my pack on, looking at my guidebook, obviously trying to get oriented, and some old fart gloms onto me and assumes I'm a n00b because he's here at this same damn crag every weekend, and he's never seen me before.  He wants to spray me down about all the 5.easy routes I should try, and won't shut up about all the gear beta he has completely memorized for all of them.  Dude, I just got here, maybe give me two minutes to put my bag down, get oriented, and then maybe we can strike up a conversation.  I know you're trying to be friendly, and you're also trying to show everyone else in your party how much you know.  So... um... cool it please.

some people are so nice that they offer to put up routes for me or trail my rope so that I can TR them because they might be 'hard' for 'me'.  

Hobo Greg · · My Van · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 200

Hexes.

GabeO wrote: Dude, I just got here, maybe give me two minutes to put my bag down, get oriented, and then maybe we can strike up a conversation.  I know you're trying to be friendly, and you're also trying to show everyone else in your party how much you know.  So... um... cool it please.

I had that experience on the newer sport routes on the left side of Turret Dome. It went down exactly as you described, just this non stop yammering and I'm like you, trying to remember what I had climbed there before and I had a guide book as well. I thought I politely declined his help, but then he pulled out his butthurt card and the chip on his shoulder from the rejection could have sunk a battleship.

Chris Hatzai · · Bend, OR · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 832
Tradiban wrote: Claiming they never would have used a power drill even if it was available in the 1900s.

Lol, ive heard the opposite from the OG’s here at Smith Rock.. 

Im paraphrasing, “The biggest technological jump in sport climbing wasn’t sticky rubbered shoes, it was the invention and use of the battery powered drill. I would have bolted so many more routes if they were available back when I started developing routes.” 

Says the guy who was climbing 5.13 in Vasque Ascender mountaineering boots..

We’re not worthy, we’re not worthy! 
curt86iroc · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 125
Hobo Greg wrote: Hexes.

haters gonna hate

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "What do you hate seeing in older climbers?"