Mountain Project Logo

Woodson condition tomorrow?

Original Post
Xi Yin · · Cambridge, MA/traveling · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 285

Does anyone know whether Woodson would be suitable for climbing tomorrow after today's rain? (Too cold in J tree, trying to find a warmer place to climb for a day.)

Faafo . · · Woodson · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 10

I think most things facing south will be good to go.  I was out there yesterday and it rained in the morning and by late afternoon I was seeing some dry rock again. geeet it

Also, a light rain jacket will help a lot when walking through the bushes

Gumby the White · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2019 · Points: 91

It's raining all day today, the trails will be quite muddy so your best bet would be to stick by roadside attractions, which is a long way to drive from Joshua tree for.....

Steven Lee · · Boston · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 285

Corte Madera could be an option if you’re willing to drive.
JT should be fine though, indian cove would be my go to. 

Antisocial Alpine Hiker · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2019 · Points: 0
Steven Lee wrote: Corte Madera could be an option if you’re willing to drive.
JT should be fine though, indian cove would be my go to. 
I'm looking out the window and El Cajon Mountain has a very good dusting of snow, possibly all the way down to 2k ft.  If Mr. Yin is concerned with Joshua Tree and even Woodson, pretty sure he wouldn't like Corte right now.
George Bracksieck · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 1,559
Steven Lee wrote: Corte Madera could be an option if you’re willing to drive.
JT should be fine though, indian cove would be my go to. 

The last section of road to CM will be a muddy quagmire for a long time, even if there’s no more rain. 

Gumby the White · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2019 · Points: 91
Antisocial Alpine Hiker wrote: I'm looking out the window and El Cajon Mountain has a very good dusting of snow, possibly all the way down to 2k ft.  If Mr. Yin is concerned with Joshua Tree and even Woodson, pretty sure he wouldn't like Corte right now.

Did the ice form yet?

Antisocial Alpine Hiker · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2019 · Points: 0
Gumby the White wrote:

Did the ice form yet?

Shhhhhh.....don’t blow the spot.  

I did hear a very large group roped up and climbed ice at Tahquitz last week though. 
Xi Yin · · Cambridge, MA/traveling · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 285

Thanks for the info. Guess I'll be bouldering in J tree. I was mostly concerned about the wind. Yesterday I was on loose lady and the wind was killing me. Bailed from the 4th clip as I was shivering and didn't have the confidence to gun for the next bolt.

Gumby the White · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2019 · Points: 91
Xi Yin wrote: Thanks for the info. Guess I'll be bouldering in J tree. I was mostly concerned about the wind. Yesterday I was on loose lady and the wind was killing me. Bailed from the 4th clip as I was shivering and didn't have the confidence to gun for the next bolt.

isnt that a sport climb? Did you leave a booty bail beaner?

Xi Yin · · Cambridge, MA/traveling · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 285
Gumby the White wrote:

isnt that a sport climb? Did you leave a booty bail beaner?

Yes, my shiny blue biner is yours to grab.

Antisocial Alpine Hiker · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2019 · Points: 0
Xi Yin wrote:

Yes, my shiny blue biner is yours to grab.

Do you remember climbing Whodunit last summer and asking some guy for directions and he rudely said "UP!!!"?  If you do, that was this gumby.  If you ever see him at Joshua Tree or Woodson, do us all a favor and punch him in the face.

Josh Glantz · · Seattle · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 124

Did it snow at Indian cove? Planning on heading there tomorrow and Sat

Fan Yang · · San Diego · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 198

too funny. anyone got a site to share from tomorrow (friday) night? just a little chevy astro van and a team of 2.

Xi Yin · · Cambridge, MA/traveling · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 285
Josh Glantz wrote:
Did it snow at Indian cove? Planning on heading there tomorrow and Sat

This was Indian Cove an hour ago.

Gumby the White · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2019 · Points: 91
Xi Yin wrote:

This was Indian Cove an hour ago.

DAYUMMMMMMM - so cool

Josh Glantz · · Seattle · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 124

Are there any other places within a couple hours of SD that didn't get dumped on? Preferably moderate sport with maybe some easier trad?

Gumby the White · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2019 · Points: 91
Josh Glantz wrote: Are there any other places within a couple hours of SD that didn't get dumped onPreferably moderate sport with maybe some easier trad?

Snow in so cal melts pretty quick braj


Post limited - but almost anywhere you pick in San Diego that is south/west facing will be dry tomorrow (probably some seepage) but expect a muddy approach.
Josh Glantz · · Seattle · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 124
Gumby the White wrote:

Snow in so cal melts pretty quick braj

I know but like by tomorrow afternoon? 

Hubbard · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 0

El Cajon Mountain is perfect.

Josh Glantz · · Seattle · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 124
Hubbard wrote: El Cajon Mountain is perfect.

Thanks @Hubbard- we'll check it out!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "Woodson condition tomorrow?"

Log In to Reply