Mountain Project Logo

Edelrid bulletproof alternatives?

Original Post
Hobo Greg · · My Van · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 200

Love em, but the HMS seems to always creep towards the nose when used in guide mode top belay. Are there any other brands out there doing hybrid steel/aluminum? Seems like this should become standard on all HMS lockers intended for belay and rappel.

Justin Butler · · Murrieta · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 45

As far as I know, I'm currently the only person manufacturing alternatives to Edelrid Bulletproof carabiners.

Matt B · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 337
Justin Butler wrote: As far as I know, I'm currently the only person manufacturing alternatives to Edelrid Bulletproof carabiners.

Best post of 2019? I believe so.

greggrylls · · Salt Lake City · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 237

1. Awesome post Justin
2. None that I'm aware of just full steel.
3.  You could switch to their twist lock/triple locker?

Hobo Greg · · My Van · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 200
Justin Butler wrote: As far as I know, I'm currently the only person manufacturing alternatives to Edelrid Bulletproof carabiners.

If I did not already possess the same technology I would order from you. Brilliant post man.

Zacks · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 65

lol.

I have the auto lock bulletproof with the anti-crossload thing.  It definitely creeps towards the gate when belaying in guide mode (using a mega jul), but also the rope doesn't wanna just sit on steel portion when belaying like this so it kinda rubs the aluminum, I only use the mega jul for multipitch these days and use a gri gri for single pitch so i'm not sure if the bulletproof is worth it.  Also seems like a LOT of friction in guide mode, i'll probably go back to the cheap round stock trango hms clip...

never seen another brand do anything similar to the bulletproof, I imagine edelrid patented the design.

Christian Hesch · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 12

Does the same thing with a Pivot, fwiw. Triple FG bulletproof, paired with a dmm pivot, as Greg mentioned, constantly readjusting it, which is mildly annoying but I'll deal with it to have my rope(s) running across steel instead of Al. 100% worth the trouble when doing multiple raps and knowing your rope is running across that insert instead of burning down another biner.

Too bad they don't make a bulletproof slidelock, those would probably seat the rope nicely... though making a steel insert in that shape might be a challenge.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Edelrid bulletproof alternatives?"