Mountain Project Logo

Deserts catch fire too

Original Post
Autumn Meadows · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2017 · Points: 0

Meandering with a group of kids today at Joshua tree, at the top of cyclops someone used a Juniper log to start a fire and then left it burning. I found my boys peeing on it to put it out (we discussed best better methods). Cinders flew all over below as it was windy. No amount of water or sand could reach the inside. Any attempt to carry it down just spread the cinders....Ranger contacted. Super lame. I really hope anyone visiting Josh realizes how delicate our ecosystem is. If you visit here bring enough water to responsibly care for your fire. Wind+fire=bigger fire.

EFS · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 155

haha.....when i saw the thread title all i could think of was a late night at j tree on a road trip.......so i click and i see j tree.....

i was in a camp spot, i started a fire in the fire pit at the site.....we were hanging out, and the wind kicked up something awful........tried putting it out and the embers were flying like crazy. a tumbleweed sparked up about 50 yards away and took off  down the road with me chasing after it........i finally caught it and put it out......ran back and finally got the fire put out......all i could think about the whole time was, im gonna be known as the dick who burned down j tree.....

• Thanks for not being a dick, I seriously doubt climbers did this but we are ususally the ones to catch it
jellybean · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 0

You're boys are on the spot problem solvers. 

Jt Loco · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 0

I can't believe the bad behavior in parks.  People are ridiculous.

1. Ha! I was just glad they werent the ones who STARTED it as they have an affinity for all things fire. 
  2. Apparently you dont have to start a fire to be a dick
Dave K · · San Diego · Joined Jul 2019 · Points: 0
grog m wrote: THANKS CAPTAIN OBVIOUS

This is a mom humblebrag/flex about how responsible your boys are. 

Mike Brady · · Van Diesel, OR · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 768
Autumn Meadows wrote
  1. Apparently you dont have to start a fire to be a dick

oh.....dont worry, he tries to starts fires as well

Gokul G · · Madison, WIsconsin · Joined May 2011 · Points: 1,577
Autumn Meadows wrote:
  1. Ha! I was just glad they werent the ones who STARTED it as they have an affinity for all things fire. 
  2. Apparently you dont have to start a fire to be a dick

I guess, from your story, you can also stop a fire (or try to) if you're a dick.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
grog m wrote: THANKS CAPTAIN OBVIOUS

This is a mom humblebrag/flex about how responsible your boys are. 

Ya know, it really isn't necessary to be triggered and outraged by everything.

Scott Hall · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0
Marc801 C wrote:

Ya know, it really isn't necessary to be triggered and outraged by everything.

Awwww c'mon!  The outrage is half the fun of having and internet connection.  I think it fires some people's dopamine centers or something....

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "Deserts catch fire too"