Mountain Project Logo

Bay area Tension Board?

Original Post
Jon L · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 35

Hey folks, does anyone know of a place with a Tension Board in the bay? (Or someone that would graciously let me try theirs) I would like to try one asap and possibly build one or a cheaper clone at home.
Training walls I know of:
GWPC has a Kilter (out of service btw with no realistic repair date in sight), and I think a few places have a Moon.
Touchstone training gym opening up in Berkeley, that will have one (with limited public hours btw), and that opening is TBD.
The giant West Oakland gym supposedly will have boards, and that opening is also TBD.

mpech · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 2

the berkeley touchstone training gym you speak of-- will that be across the street from ironworks? 

Nkane 1 · · Berkeley, CA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 109

Not particularly close, but High Altitude Fitness in Incline Village, NV has one. I think it's permanently set to 20 degrees.

EDIT: Also one of the climbing gyms at Stanford has one. But you need a friend who goes to Stanford to get you in...

Eric Climb · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 10 days ago · Points: 0

Planet Granite has;

-A Moon Board in Belmont
-Two Moon Boards in Sunnyvale
-An adjustable 12' x 12' Kilter Board in San Francisco

 

Jon L · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 35
mpech wrote: the berkeley touchstone training gym you speak of-- will that be across the street from ironworks? 

Yep 

https://touchstoneclimbing.com/announcing-the-team-touchstone-training-facility/
Matt Miccioli · · Stanford, CA · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 110
Nkane 1 wrote: Not particularly close, but High Altitude Fitness in Incline Village, NV has one. I think it's permanently set to 20 degrees.

EDIT: Also one of the climbing gyms at Stanford has one. But you need a friend who goes to Stanford to get you in...

Tensie no longer exists at Stanford--the ACSR bouldering gym has been closed. Just my two cents, but I never liked it much. I found the wooden holds to be shaped annoyingly and very slippery. It seemed like the jugs on the Kilter Board would be better if wanting to specialize in really steep (50+ degrees) training, and I prefer the Moonboard for pretty much all other general applications.

mpech · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 2
Jon L wrote:

Yep 

https://touchstoneclimbing.com/announcing-the-team-touchstone-training-facility/

thanks for the heads up. 

Senor Lago · · Santa Clara, CA · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 20
Eric Climb wrote: Planet Granite has;

-A Moon Board in Belmont
-Two Moon Boards in Sunnyvale
-An adjustable 12' x 12' Kilter Board in San Francisco

 

Thé new PG in Santa Clara, opening soon, is supposed to have a Tension Board.


https://planetgranite.com/santa-clara/
Michael Layton · · Sonora, CA · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 65

i've got one in mty backyard in sonora. PM if you wanna crush pre/post job'

Gabe D. Castillo · · Hayward, CA · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0

Vertex in Santa Rosa has a Tension Board. It's the best thing to climb on there. 

Nick Lozica · · Berkeley, CA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

Vertex

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Bay area Tension Board?"

Log In to Reply