Mountain Project Logo

Mental health and Climbing

Original Post
Gage Gibbons · · Lyndonville, VT · Joined Sep 2019 · Points: 0

Hello, I am a senior at Northern Vermont University-Lyndon and I am looking to survey climbers for my research paper. My topic has to do with the relationship between rock climbing and positive mental health benefits. The survey is only 16 questions long and won't take more than five minutes! Thank you for all of your help!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfGQpJz9R3GjjAquS1_w6CdO_HJPaRnGFLPGVh2tL21rJtIAQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

John Reeve · · Durango, formely from TX · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 5

Heyo... before you get a lot of eyes on this, the questions are not worded well... there are a bunch of Likert scale questions but the questions don't line up with that mode of responding.

Thank you for the feedback John, I will do my best to adjust the survey and provide an updated link to it as soon as possible. 

Jon Banks · · Longmont, CO · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 169

The survey was fine. Better than most that get posted to mountain project. Just share your results when you are done!

Garth Sundem · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 20

Great project, Gage! A quick question: Is this primarily for a school project or do you plan to write this up and submit for publication to someplace like Journal of Applied Sport Psychology? If for a school project, I say let 'er rip -- let's all answer these questions as written and see what we get. But if you want to explore publication, you might want to tighten things up a bit, as John suggested above. I'm sure you've got lotsa resources at your school, but if useful I'm happy to set up a call w my wife who's a PhD psychologist and designs these surveys all the time. (DM if you want.) Cheers and good luck!

ErikaNW · · Golden, CO · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 145

Agree with the above - I think you could probably just tweak the scale from strongly agree etc for the 1st couple of questions without changing the intent of the questions. It would just make the responses more understandable - you might not even need to do an IRB modification (you wouldn't need to at my institution for that type of change - I'm IRB Chair for my university). Good luck with your research!

Buck Rogers · · Germany · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 205
Gage Gibbons wrote: Hello, I am a senior at Northern Vermont University-Lyndon and I am looking to survey climbers for my research paper. My topic has to do with the relationship between rock climbing and positive mental health benefits. The survey is only 16 questions long and won't take more than five minutes! Thank you for all of your help!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfGQpJz9R3GjjAquS1_w6CdO_HJPaRnGFLPGVh2tL21rJtIAQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

Good stuff!

I grew up just down the road in West Newbury, VT and went to Groovy UV but often went up to St. J and Lyndonville as I had friends that lived there.

Is NVU-Lyndon the new name sor Lyndon State College?
Eric · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 5

Does doing something you like make you feel good?  

Turns out, yes, yes it does.

Hi everyone, I really appreciate all of the feedback so for, I updated the survey into a more polished version. Hopefully it is now much more clear and flows better. Again, if there is any other constructive feedback I would love to hear from you. Thanks again! I updated the link in the original post and I'll also drop it here.

Regarding the comments above;

John: Again appreciate the feedback man, it helped a ton!

Jon: Thanks for the complement! I'm more than happy to share the final product on this forum when everything complete! 

Garth: This is primarily for a school project I must do in order to graduate. The idea of publishing my work does sound interesting depending on how the final paper and results turn out! I'll definitely shoot you a message if I decide to go further with it!

Erika: I shifted my scale systems a bit and hopefully I framed the questions in a more clear and concise way. Everything regarding the IRB has been taken care of, thank you for the feedback!

Buck: I'm from the Burlington area so I'm very familiar with Groovy UV haha! NVU-Lyndon is now the current name of our college. They changed the name after Lyndon and Johnson had their merger last year.

Eric: I'm glad that seems to be the way it goes! Thanks for checking the survey out!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Mental health and Climbing"