Mountain Project Logo

Add Distances between routes

Original Post
Luke P · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

Some places this may not seem as practical but I think this would just make it easier to find some routes.

For example, when you sort the routes from left to right or right to left there should be a little number distance between the routes.  Even if it's just  < 5 yards, 5-10 yards, 10-25 yards, 25-50 yards, etc... this would be a ton of help. Could be user added, getting an average.

Would really cut down on the time wasted searching for routes, knowing if it's nearby or a 100 yard hike around the next outcropping.

JRZane · · Dirty Jersey · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 95

route finding is a skill, same as any other.

do we really need GPS notifications that send alerts to our phones when we are within a few feet of climbs?

what cuts down on wasted time is learning to recognize features and weaknesses.

PNW Choss · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2019 · Points: 0

So once mp finds your climb for you should they also climb it for you?  Save you the trouble of putting forth any effort of your own. Your special and privileged and should only have to bother with drinking those Mic ultras after a tough day of ticking routes am I right? Does someone chew your food and wipe your butt for you? 

Wow, tough crowd.
I don't get outdoors much to climb since I live 4+ hours from any and all sport/TR climbing routes and don't get home until 6 or 7pm most Fridays. Also the lack of good pictures on some routes.
Was just looking for a way to possibly get some more climbs in during my short outdoor excursions. Apparently this is a touchy issue.....

Gumby the White · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2019 · Points: 55

Or you could just buy a guide book, make friends with the people that climb there, or find a grand adventure.

Will "5-10" yards to the left of "x" route even help? Sounds like a bunch of squeeze jobs at this crag....

Fehim Hasecic · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 170
Luke P wrote: Wow, tough crowd.
I don't get outdoors much to climb since I live 4+ hours from any and all sport/TR climbing routes and don't get home until 6 or 7pm most Fridays. Also the lack of good pictures on some routes.
Was just looking for a way to possibly get some more climbs in during my short outdoor excursions. Apparently this is a touchy issue.....

I think what you’re looking for is called a guidebook, make sure it’s for the area you visit though, otherwise it might be as confusing as MP without pictures and distance between climbs.

Gumby the White wrote: Or you could just buy a guide book, make friends with the people that climb there, or find a grand adventure.

Will "5-10" yards to the left of "x" route even help? Sounds like a bunch of squeeze jobs at this crag....

I was at The Red over the weekend at a relatively empty crag and it would've helped finding a few of them.  Eventually found what we were looking for but with no signal I also couldn't get any pictures loaded so I could only go off of the general descriptions on the app.

So yeah, eventually found them, but could have possibly gotten in another climb or two with this or at the very least not felt like we needed to rush on the last climb due to losing light.
Luke P wrote:

I was at The Red over the weekend at a relatively empty crag and it would've helped finding a few of them.  Eventually found what we were looking for but with no signal I also couldn't get any pictures loaded so I could only go off of the general descriptions on the app.

So yeah, eventually found them, but could have possibly gotten in another climb or two with this or at the very least not felt like we needed to rush on the last climb due to losing light.

ahhh yes, the sqeeze job comment was accurate then.

Ever heard of a screen shot?

Kelley Gilleran · · Sacramento, Ca · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 2,815
Luke P wrote:

Or just climb what looks cool regardless of the grade. Think of all the time saved then!

Also, I'm all for guide books. But after spending a lot of money on gas to get to these places and probably only going once or twice over the course of a year, it's not usually worth it for me to drop the $50 on something that I may only use once.

Kelley Gilleran wrote:

Or just climb what looks cool regardless of the grade. Think of all the time saved then!

Haha, I feel like that's a great way to really start using that bail-biner. Maybe once I'm more comfortable climbing 11s and 12s outside.

Luke P wrote: Also, I'm all for guide books. But after spending a lot of money on gas to get to these places and probably only going once or twice over the course of a year, it's not usually worth it for me to drop the $50 on something that I may only use once.

So it wasn't worth the route developers time either for someone to visit there crag once a year either I assume?

Gumby the White wrote:

So it wasn't worth the route developers time either for someone to visit there crag once a year either I assume?

I doubt it would be worth their time if only one person showed up once a year. They didn't do it with people like me in mind who live too far away to make it at any reasonable frequency. I still appreciate it though.  

And how have I become the a-hole just for suggesting a small change to the app that I think would help find routes? Glad the climbing community in my area is nice and welcoming. This whole thing just reminds me why I tend to try and stay off online forums.

don'tchuffonme · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 25
Luke P wrote: Also, I'm all for guide books. But after spending a lot of money on gas to get to these places and probably only going once or twice over the course of a year, it's not usually worth it for me to drop the $50 on something that I may only use once.

This doesn't make any sense to me.  You may only use it once?  You just said you go once or twice a year.  Over two years, that's at least twice.  If it's good enough to want to know where specific routes are, it's good enough to support the hard work that went into making a resource for locating them.  Support guidebook authors and support your climbing areas.  Even if you only go once or twice a year.

Also, the answer of "just buy the guide book". At that point, why have mountain project?

Randy Von Zee · · Darien, IL · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 19,120
Luke P wrote: Also, the answer of "just buy the guide book". At that point, why have mountain project?

It is hard to troll people via guidebook

Bryce Adamson · · Connecticut · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 1,154

Lots of trolls in this thread. In some areas putting the distance between routes in the sorting would make sense, but not for other areas. Overall, I think it would add clutter and most submissions would be inaccurate anyways.

In the route pages is a subsection for "location." If you think the beta for finding a route's location is unclear then you should submit an improvement using the drop down menu up top, or you should submit a comment down below to help other people find the route.

Jeremy S · · Southern California · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 45
Randy Von Zee wrote:

It is hard to troll people via guidebook

Clint Cummins · · Palo Alto, CA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 1,176

I agree with Bryce - relative distance is something to add to the Location part of the route description -
this is often what it is done in a guidebook.
It doesn't work as a required field on MP, because it is always relative to some other route (usually one to its left).
So it would require that all routes be present in the MP DB, or you would need yet another field for the reference route name.

Keith Wood · · Elko, NV · Joined May 2019 · Points: 320

Luke,

You do seem to be catching a lot of flak here.

I think one of the reasons not to add distances between is that people would tend to estimate from the nearest distinctive feature, whether to the left or right, and then you end up with some distances being to the right and some to the left. What if there are two distinctive features and some are left of one, others right of the other but they start to overlap?

Also, people's perceptions of distance vary when they have to estimate, and I think the whole thing would break down pretty quickly resulting in more confusion, and that's true whether you are posting the estimated distance between, or trying to decipher it from what you saw posted. Not to say it wouldn't work sometimes. Just that it would also have its problems. I would not want to see it required.

It would be better to encourage people to photo the bottoms of routes and post those, but even then people can be confused about which route something is. FAs should try to do this as a courtesy IMHO.

JRZane · · Dirty Jersey · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 95
Luke P wrote:

count bolt lines. RRG is basically a climbing theme park. I mean if you had trouble finding routes after a 3 mile approach in Tetons or at Red Rocks id have some sympathy. But I think this is you needing to develop craggin skills. practice and enjoy getting better.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Discuss MountainProject.com
Post a Reply to "Add Distances between routes"