Mountain Project Logo

Bd UL screw for v threads.

Original Post
wisam · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 60

Curious with the new BD UL screws if getting V threads on the first try is any easier with the wider tube or if it isn’t really a noticeable difference.  

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,931

A wider screw should be a tiny, insignificant benefit.  I would think a better reason for carrying a UL 22 cm screw is if the primary (sole?) reason you have it is for threads. A penny, er, ounce saved...

dave custer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 1,402

Another advantage of a wider diameter is that you can neatly re-use holes made by smaller diameter screws, which can be handy in over-popular routes. And might help when placing in less that optimal-strength ice where additional surface area contact would be a boon.

Cortney L · · Englehood, CO · Joined May 2015 · Points: 6

I've made threads with grivel 360s (older style) and a BD UL. I will say that its not night and day better; but the increased diameter does make it easier to build & thread. It's lighter too, obviously, which is a benefit. 

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,931
Cortney L wrote: I've made threads with grivel 360s (older style) and a BD UL. I will say that its not night and day better; but the increased diameter does make it easier to build & thread. It's lighter too, obviously, which is a benefit. 

OTOH the much smaller hanger of the old style 360s lets you drill a wee bit deeper than the BD screw. If you've mis-judged your holes, this can be a big deal. For this reason, my go-to thread driller screw is a 360.

Cortney L · · Englehood, CO · Joined May 2015 · Points: 6
Gunkiemike wrote:

OTOH the much smaller hanger of the old style 360s lets you drill a wee bit deeper than the BD screw. If you've mis-judged your holes, this can be a big deal. For this reason, my go-to thread driller screw is a 360.

You bring up a good point, which I overlooked in my last post. This exact scenario happened to me this weekend and was frustrating...I had to chip away a ton of ice around the hanger to get the UL deep enough to meet the other hole. If I would have used the 360 in that scenario, it wouldn't have been an issue. I guess there's a reason my rack is 360s and I only own one UL (22cm). 

wisam · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 60

On the other hand the grivel is only 20 cm. Would be interesting to test v thread depth with a 20 grivel vs a bd 22 with a bigger hanger.  

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

hanger style is a non issue with me. I clean up the surface a bit before drilling..  weight saveing on the other hand is what those babys are for. Petzls do go in a bit easier. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Ice Climbing
Post a Reply to "Bd UL screw for v threads."