Mountain Project Logo

WTB: avalanche beacon

FOR SALE/WANTED WARNING: Mountain Project cannot verify the identity or trustworthiness of any member. Fraud has happened.
  • Do not use PayPal "gift" payments, wire transfers, Western Union, etc.
  • Use PayPal credit card payments, or other systems that protect you from fraud.
Original Post
Seigi K · · Berkeley, CA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 50

I don't need anything super fancy or cutting edge - just slowly edging into the back country. Please let me know if you're looking to offload one (or two, I know someone else who wants one too) :) 

Ryan Huetter · · Mammoth Lakes, CA · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 255

Deals can be found out there, but best to be a shrewd shopper in this market. Lots of folks trying to unload older beacons lately that while functional are far from modern, and while cheap in the moment will be poor performers in both testing and real world applications. Do your research as to what is a good  beacon, then price shop for it. The Pieps DSP Sport has been a favored budget beacon, can be found for ~$200 right now new. 

Seigi K · · Berkeley, CA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 50
   I appreciate this advice, Ryan. I'll keep that in mind, and will do my due diligence. I'll look into the Pieps. Regardless of budgetary constraints, the whole point of me having a beacon is for it to work well... not for peace of mind.
Chacal · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 170
Ryan Huetter wrote: Deals can be found out there, but best to be a shrewd shopper in this market. Lots of folks trying to unload older beacons lately that while functional are far from modern, and while cheap in the moment will be poor performers in both testing and real world applications. Do your research as to what is a good  beacon, then price shop for it. The Pieps DSP Sport has been a favored budget beacon, can be found for ~$200 right now new. 

Additionally, most manufacturers offer a system update, that any user should consider every few years of use for their device. 

I wouldn't buy an analog beacon, or a digital beacon with 2 antennas (triple is the standard).
Benton Hodges · · Jackson, WY · Joined Jul 2018 · Points: 0

I'll echo what was said above. No analog or two antenna beacons. Make sure you end up with a triple antenna.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

FOR SALE / FOR FREE / WANT TO BUY
Post a Reply to "WTB: avalanche beacon"