Mountain Project Logo

El Chalten and Frey December 17th-January 9th

Original Post
Adam Gellman · · Jersey City/Burlington VT · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 185

Hey Everyone!

I Adam and I've been studying ecology and living in a tent in Chilean Patagonia for the last 2 months. In December I have a ticket booked to El Chalten for December 16th and some time after Christmas I plan on taking a bus up to El Frey until January 9th.  Partners fell through for this trip so I am interested to see who is around those areas with similar goals and experience level. Interested in alpine rock (or maybe some ice) but would love to go cragging a bit first to make sure that we are on the same page before something more serious.

I am more focused on climbing in Frey as I don't have the time to commit to waiting in El Chalten for a weather window and most of the peaks on the Fitz Roy massif are a bit out of my wheelhouse. In Chalten I would be interested in climbing more moderate routes such as Mojon Rojo, Austriaca on Aguja D L'S or Cara Este on Cerro Solo. In frey I would just love to climb a ton of 5.10 alpine routes (with a few 5.11 routes sprinkled in).

Just a bit about my climbing experience/level. I have been trad climbing for almost 5 years and have climbed up to 5.12 trad and can usually onsite 5.11- trad.  I have been ice climbing in the Northeast US for the last couple of winters and consistently climb ~WI4. I am a certified AMGA SPI and spent this summer guiding ice climbing on the Matanuska Glacier in Alaska as well as the previous summer guiding 14ers and rock climbing in Colorado. I have climbed a decent number of alpine rock routes up to grade IV 5.11- around the Colorado Rockies, Tetons, Red Rocks and Hatchers Pass AK. I am traveling with a 70m dry rope, rack (doubles up to #2 & 4 ice screws), mountain boots, crampons, pair of ice tools and an ice axe, and general rock climbing kit.  Very psyched to climb more as I've been a bit lacking the lasts couple months!!

If it sounds like we might make good climbing partners, feel free to send me an email adamlgellman@gmail.com

Cheers
Adam Gellman

Gabe Mager · · Eugene, OR · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

Email you 

Adam Gellman · · Jersey City/Burlington VT · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 185

BUMP

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Extended Trips and International Partners
Post a Reply to "El Chalten and Frey December 17th-January 9th"