Mountain Project Logo

RIP Brad Gobright

Original Post
Landyn Bell · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2019 · Points: 15

I just heard the news, and this one was tough for me. I just wanted to hear what anyone else had to say. He was a crazy man that inspired me to push and never grow up. He also reminded me of someone very close to me in my family that passed away too young. Please share any good stories or anything positive let's keep his cooky spirit alive!

Isac Fresquez · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2018 · Points: 0

Brad inspired me to push myself and be confident with trad climbing and climbing in general. My condolences to his friends and family. 

Sam R · · Denver, CO · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0

I think about him every time I go to Eldo. When I’m roped up and absolutely struggling, I would start to wonder if this was what Brad would solo as his warm up. 

Rich Farnham · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2002 · Points: 282

Didn't know him, but was amazed by his accomplishments(and I must admit a little disturbed by the risks he was willing to take - the solo of Hairstyles and Attitudes was pretty tough to watch).  He definitely lived life to the fullest!  It seems he "ticked" a lot of his significant ascents here on MP.  If you want some inspiration, go check out that list!  And then start surfing through the 439 photos.  RIP Brad.
His page: Brad G

The Phoenix

Seth Bleazard · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2018 · Points: 374

RIP Brad. He was one of the best trad climbers out there.  

Joseph Leiper · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 0

Haven't yet seen a reason for the accident. Figure rap anchor pulled, but his partner also fell/was dragged a ways, so perhaps more complex. Horrible. One moment young and exhilarated, then.... (Always triple-check gear before gravity checks it for you.)

fossana · · leeds, ut · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 13,231

Condolences to his friends and family.  He was an inspiring climber, RIP.

simul-rap accident

At 3:40 pm, Gobright and Jacobson, 26, were simul-rappelling the seventh pitch on El Sendero Luminoso, a 15-pitch 5.12+ multi pitch on the front side of the El Toro formation. They were using an 80 meter rope and didn’t tie knots in the ends.
Borys forwarded the following message he received from Aidan Jacobson to Rock and Ice: “Brad set up the rope for a short rappel and didn’t use the middle point. I tried to pull more rope on Brads side but he said he was fine. We started simul rapping and Brad rapped off his rope.”
source (R & I)
John Clark · · San Francisco · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 478

My partner Robert and I were passed by Gobright as I was belaying Robert up the last pitch of the rostrum earlier in November. Brad said it was his last climb in the valley for the season on his way out of the park. He looked distracted, but still passed on some stoke by telling me to go try and do the Rostrum/Astroman link-up. He was always great when I bumped into him in the Valley and Red Rock.

RIP, Brad G

Pnelson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 552

We really need to get a memorial feature for users' pages. I've been saying this for years, not sure why it hasn't happened yet.

Brad had some great posts on here; he wasn't just a gifted climber, he was comfortable with the back and forth of the forums.  Anyone remember his comments in the "Speed Climbing is Dangerous" thread?  haha

Chad N · · Victor Idaho · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 2,162
Pnelson wrote: 
Brad had some great posts on here; he wasn't just a gifted climber, he was comfortable with the back and forth of the forums.  

Agreed, no big ‘pro’ ego, though he was quite the pro in my opinion, he just helped the community in a positive and quirky way. 

Beneficial if all climbers could learn from his mannerisms. 
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "RIP Brad Gobright"