Mountain Project Logo

Mandatory Helmets for Pros

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,540
Dan.G. yorlig wrote: Also to tie a thought in here, there was a recent thing I heard from a stonemaster at a slideshow that when they were bringing the hurt to socal climbing in the 70's "there were the stonemasters, then there were the guys that wore the helmets..." or something along those lines. Just food for thought (or forum fodder).

It goes a little something like this:

In the beginning those who were worthy climbed, and those who were not, didn't. Those who didn't became jealous and started climbing, but they were still unworthy. Due to their unsuitability they needed extra things to facilitate their climbing and suppress their fear. Soon with capitalism at their side they outnumbered the worthy and their voices became louder, emboldened by their numbers, but still, they were unworthy.

The unworthy need their worldview constantly justified because they don't believe in themselves. "WHAT IF?!" they howl. Over and over and over, their hands burn from the wringing. Still, they see those who are better they are and are again jealous. "How can it be?" they think, "That this man has no fear, and I have so much?". They cannot stand the question, so they howl louder and louder until their corporate overlords succumb to their mutual weakness.

This is how things are, this is how they will be.
Dan.G. yorlig · · North Hollywood, Ca · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 0
Tradiban wrote:

In the beginning those who were worthy climbed, and those who were not, didn't.

Ohhhh damn. Yeah sounds about right. 

Im down with helmets. Do you wear a helmet when you climb T? 

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Tradiban wrote:

In the beginning those who were worthy climbed, and those who were not, didn't. Those who didn't became jealous and started climbing, but they were still unworthy. Due to their unsuitability they needed extra things to facilitate their climbing and suppress their fear. Soon with capitalism at their side they outnumbered the worthy and their voices became louder, emboldened by their numbers, but still, they were unworthy.

The unworthy need their worldview constantly justified because they don't believe in themselves. "WHAT IF?!" they howl. Over and over and over, their hands burn from the wringing. Still, they see those who are better they are and are again jealous. "How can it be?" they think, "That this man has no fear, and I have so much?". They cannot stand the question, so they howl louder and louder until their corporate overlords succumb to their mutual weakness.

Holy crap.

But seriously folks, why don't sponsors require helmets for their athletes? The parallel to cycling is strong and yes, cycling teams require helmets for their athletes even on training rides. This is because of fan outrage after a couple of bad crashes in the tour. Climbing is seeing more and more of these high profile accidents, so I only see it as a matter of time.

M Mobes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 910
Tradiban wrote: But seriously folks, why don't sponsors require helmets for their athletes? The parallel to cycling is strong and yes, cycling teams require helmets for their athletes even on training rides. This is because of fan outrage after a couple of bad crashes in the tour. Climbing is seeing more and more of these high profile accidents, so I only see it as a matter of time.

Your gym will be next.

M Mobes wrote:

Your gym will be next.

And this begs the question: If the helmet wearers believe that the helmet protects them from bad falls, not just rockfall, why aren't they wearing them in the gym?!

mpech · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 2

In the cycling world, I think it was the UCI that started to require helmets in races, thus forcing the cyclists to wear them. I don't think it was the sponsors that were forcing helmet use.

I think it is a very likely scenario that the subset of helmet-selling sponsors will start mandating their use during photoshoots, videos etc... I would guess Petzl would likely be the first on-board?

What would be so difficult/hypocritical about all this, of course, is the huge range in risk profiles among sponsored athletes-- seems weird to be both sponsoring soloists/alpinists but then requiring sport climbers to wear helmets... 

M Mobes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 910
Tradiban wrote:

And this begs the question: If the helmet wearers believe that the helmet protects them from bad falls, not just rockfall, why aren't they wearing them in the gym?!

Messes up their hair and doesn't allow enough pheromones to escape?

mpech · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 2
Tradiban wrote:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5asZcflnCq/​​​

Toulouse comp- climber rips volume off of wall, barely escapes with his life. #alpinism
Carl Schneider · · Adelaide, South Australia · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0
Tradiban wrote: With Emily's recent accident I think it's high time to demand that sponsors require their climbers wear helmets at all times. This includes all photo shoots and media. If they are climbing, bouldering, sport, trad, anything they need a helmet to set a proper example.

Please tweet, email, snapchat, fbook your favorite brands to demand they take action to protect the lives of their athletes.

You're very good at this aren't you?

RKV WY · · Lander, WY · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 0

I think all crags should require mandatory gear placements every 6 feet... 

Getoutside · · Golden, CO · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0
ErikaNW wrote: How did the ski culture shift towards helmet use? 

Marketing and Money.

Head injuries have not declined in skiing since ubiquitous use of helmets.

Cf. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3989528/

No, I do not ski with a helmet. Also, I get them 60-75% off. The feeling of safety does not equate to actually being safe. But...the companies will take your money.
mat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 6
Getoutside wrote:

Marketing and Money.

No, I do not ski with a helmet. Also, I get them 60-75% off. The feeling of safety does not equate to actually being safe. But...the companies will take your money.

From your linked article:

Summary
The use of safety helmets clearly decreases the risk and severity of head injuries as compared to non-helmeted participants in skiing and snowboarding. The beneficial effects of helmets are not negated by unintended risks as their use does not appear to increase the risk of neck or cervical spine injury as compared to non-helmeted participants in skiing and snowboarding. The use of safety helmets also does not appear to increase the risk of compensation behavior as compared to non-helmeted participants in skiing and snowboarding. Therefore, helmets are strongly recommended during recreational skiing and snowboarding. Limitations in current studies have been highlighted and need to be appropriately addressed in future investigations on the subject.
Getoutside · · Golden, CO · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0
mat wrote:
From your linked article:

Mat. 

Well. I'm an idiot. Thank you for pointing this out. This refutes what I said. 
Dan 60D5H411 · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 2,132
Getoutside wrote:

Marketing and Money.

Besides not reading the summary listed above, I dont think you read the detailed recommendations either

Recommendations
Level I Recommendations
  1. All recreational skiers and snowboarders should wear safety helmets to reduce the incidence and severity of head injury during these sports.
Note: As with evidence regarding helmet efficacy in the reduction of head injury and mortality in motorcycle crashes,34 Class I evidence on helmet efficacy in recreational skiing and snowboarding is lacking. However, the above statement has been designated as a Level I recommendation because in our review of evidence, a preponderance of Class II data regarding helmet efficacy in head injuries in skiers and snowboarders with significant construct validity was observed. This was further coupled with the acknowledgement of the inability to ethically perform a RCT in this arena.
Level II Recommendations / Observations
The following observations were also made during the review of literature on the subject:
  1. Helmets do not appear to increase the risk compensation behavior among skiers and snowboarders.
  2. Helmets do not appear to increase the risk of neck and cervical spine injuries among skiers and snowboarders.
  3. Policies and interventions directed towards increasing and promoting helmet use should be promoted to reduce mortality and head injury in recreational skiers and snowboarders.
Glowering · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 5
How did the ski culture shift towards helmet use?
I would bet a lot had to do with parents putting them on kids for the last few decades. A kid grows up wearing one and they don’t stop. My teen sons helmet strap broke and he was like I can’t ski. I let him use mine because he really didn’t feel comfortable with out it. Not as many people start climbing with their parents. 
Personally I skied for a couple decades without one. I bought one when they added speakers to them so I could ski with tunes but once I had it I loved it. My helmet is more comfortable than a hat because it doesn’t squeeze my head or make it itch. If you go over the bars in powder it stays on your head and it doesn’t get covered with snow. 
But skiing is usually in cold weather and climbing is not. I still almost always wear a helmet for both. I don’t behave any different. I’ve never needed one for either, it’s just been insurance. Riding a dirt bike is another story. I’d be much more conservative without one. And one did prevent a serious head injury. 

Helmets may help you avoid brain injury! No shit everybody! It's not a mystery, there's proof all over.

So why don't those who really walk the edge use them?! So far the only explanation is that it makes for better pictures to promote their image. Ya right.

How about you Boulderites, surely you know some pros and could ask them?

Ron O · · middle of nowhere, southern… · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

I was hoping to see a photo of Rick Moranis in Spaceballs.

Dan 60D5H411 · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 2,132
Chad Miller · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 150
Dan 60D5H411 wrote:
Spaceballs!

Don’t go over his helmet. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Mandatory Helmets for Pros"