Mountain Project Logo

Approach shoe for Patagonia rock?

Original Post
Bharath Tata · · Chandler, AZ · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 25

Looking for recommendations: a good approach shoe to pair with my strap-on crampons for alpine rock climbs around Chalten and maybe Torres del Paine. Ideally waterproof, lightweight, and capable of climbing light 5th class. Considering Sportiva TX4 mid GTX but not sure how waterproof it really is, and if it could really kick steps in snow if needed..

Vik Waghray · · Oakland, CA · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

I got a pair of the TX4 mid's for the bugaboos, and found them to be perfect for that kind of environment. they're definitely waterproof and quite a bit lighter than mountaineering boots, while offering solid grip on 5th class terrain. pair them with a set of strap-on crampons and they're great for steep snow and glacier travel (assuming you have all the other requisite gear).

Aerili · · Los Alamos, NM · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 1,875

Salewa Alp Trainer or Mountain Trainer Mid

Z Winters · · Mazama, WA · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 230

The TX4 Mid are decently waterproof, but keep in mind they are very soft. In my experience they suck in firm snow but are fine in soft snow. Salewa makes a good stiff approach shoe. 

C J · · Sac Valley, CA · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

Garmont Vetta GTX

M Mobes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 910

Id say any good approach shoe that fits would be good but....

Jay J · · Euelss · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 5

That part of the world gets a lot of rain.  I'd set "waterproof" as a hard requirement if I were planning to go there.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Approach shoe for Patagonia rock?"