Mountain Project Logo

Partner for a day out in Hong Kong Nov 23 - 29

Original Post
Christin Price · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

Hi! My bf and I will be in Hong Kong next week visiting from California, and would love to get a different view on the city and go rock climbing, and ideally hang with some locals. Just one day out would be amazing, and we can be flexible on the day.

We don't plan to travel with all our climbing gear, just shoes/harness/ATC. I comfortably lead 5.10 a/b sport, and happy to swap leads if you'd like. Gweilo would be dope, but open to suggestions! Hope to meet you :)

Andrew Rational · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 10

Are you seriously visiting HK right now? Forget the climbing gear; take gas masks and Kevlar vests.

John the Nomad · · Bonedale, CO · Joined May 2017 · Points: 15
Andrew Rational wrote: Are you seriously visiting HK right now? Forget the climbing gear; take gas masks and Kevlar vests.

What he said...  Probably not a good time to go to HK.

Christin Price · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

Are you shooting from the hip with that comment or are you local and can provide actual insight as to the situation there? We've received conflicting information - are considering cancelling the trip, but it's hard to get a true read as to what is happening on the ground.

Andrew Rational · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 10

I'm not local, but I've travelled in a lot of really dodgy places including, inadvertantly, during political protests, riots, and cartel wars, and there is no way in hell I'd voluntarily go to HK right now.

dug1ross · · Vancouver, CA · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 10

Have you seriously not been watching the news???  Violence everywhere and the police shooting live rounds at people.  Get with the times and open your eyes.  There are 100's of safer better places to go.

Watch the fucking news for Christ sake and you might actually get a true understanding of what’s going on.  I’d revert over to Thailand or Vietnam. 

Todd the Tangler · · Golden, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 50

You folks crack me up. Maybe check yourself and the media's fear-mongering.

I've been in Hong Kong for the past week and a half. Staying in Mong Kok (which, since you guys apparently know everything that's going on here, you know is a hot spot of protests and riots).

And guess what we're all doing??

Going out to breakfast in the morning, going climbing during the day, going out to dinner, and enjoying HK.

Sure, if you want to join the protests you can. You can also easily avoid them as most of the 8 million people who live here do.

Hong Kong is not dangerous. It's fine. Come and visit. The only downside is occasionally some MTR stations are closed and you may have a longer walk than anticipated on occasion. 

John the Nomad wrote: Watch the fucking news for Christ sake and you might actually get a true understanding of what’s going on.  I’d revert over to Thailand or Vietnam. 

Maybe you should talk to people who are actually here to "get a true understanding of what's going on..."  instead of just cursing at people who are more open-minded than you seem to be. 

Thanks for the insight tangler Todd.

I guess the videos of live rounds being shot at protestors or police driving vans into protest lines counts as fear mongering.  Nobody said you couldn’t avoid those areas, but to act like nothing is going on is a little naive.

But oh goodness, I guess that makes me close minded.

I apologize for the personal attack. It was out of line. I was slightly frustrated when reading these messages.

My point is merely that there's no need to avoid HK right now if your overriding concern is personal safety.

I'm not going to write a novel on my views of the situation here now, but honestly, it's a great time to visit.

Prices are cheap and it's a very unique time to be here.

OP, I hope you guys still make it! 

Anywho.

No harm no foul.

Part of the issue is that we haven’t heard from anybody in HK except for the protests, so we’re only seeing one perspective.  

Interestingly enough, I was in India last week and there was absolutely zero mention of HK in any of their news.  However, they’re kind of engulfed in political corruption and border issues with pakistan.

OP, I almost forgot.

PM me if you get here. I'll be climbing the next few days. If we can track down an extra rope, maybe we can all get out. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Extended Trips and International Partners
Post a Reply to "Partner for a day out in Hong Kong Nov 23 - 29"