Mountain Project Logo

San Diego Crags, and Bees

Original Post
Ryan Huetter · · Mammoth Lakes, CA · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 255

Hi all,
Going to be spending a bit of time down in San Diego and am interested in checking out some of the crags, have climbed a bit around there ages ago but would like to solicit any info on serious bee issues at the popular venues like El Cajon, Woodson, etc. Have a recent severe allergy and want to be making sure I am not going to places with known problems, even though I'll be carrying Epi.
Thanks!

Faafo . · · Woodson · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 10
Greg Davis · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 10

Mission gorge has a few bees nest near the edge of Middle Earth area but overall outside of the nest by robbins crack and the one I just mentioned never really seen much.

Elliot Weiss · · San Diego, CA · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 60

This may have been an isolated incident, but I was chased off of sickle crack at Woodson by a bee earlier this year. 

jt newgard · · San Diego, CA · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 205

Never had any close encounters with bees myself -- go to Woodson mostly.

There are few bats living in Poison Oak and Robbins cracks. Do a night sesh and hear them chirp-chirping!

My best recommendation is to rub poison oak all over your face to develop an immunity prior to arrival. That's probably the biggest biohazard.

PS. youtube.com/watch?v=5J2kc4o…

Greg Davis · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 10

Gumby the White · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2019 · Points: 55

Yes, there are bees outside in san diego. 

Matthew Lee · · San Diego, CA · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 15

Had a huge swarm come out while standing on top of the Sunday morning boulder!

Hand.jammin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 10

My partner and I were swarmed by an entire colony on P2 of Leonids in 2015. I believe they were re colonizing to a new location but I remember vividly that I thought “this is how I die”. Thousands bounced off of my body for well over a minute but I was never stung. Probably an isolated incident.

tom donnelly · · san diego · Joined Aug 2002 · Points: 271

there are often bees on Orange Walk at Mission Gorge.
and on the 11a on the left side of the Bonita Crag aka Sweetwater aka Swap Meet aka Homeless dump.
  (the number of nicknames being proportional to the "uniqueness" )

Joe Frazer · · San Diego, CA · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 16

yeah, not to scare off the OP but, I have also been swarmed at Mission Gorge. I was at the top of Never Intended cleaning the anchor when the droning sound started and my buddies below screamed indistinct warnings, until the sun was shaded and I was engulfed in thousands of those little suckers, did not get stung though. 

Ryan Huetter · · Mammoth Lakes, CA · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 255

Thanks all- was mostly concerned about swarms of Arizona style super aggressive bees, but will take the above advice. Cheers! 

PNW Choss · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2019 · Points: 0
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "San Diego Crags, and Bees"