Mountain Project Logo

Keller’s Sport and Bouldering

Original Post
Aynur Altom · · Vancouver, WA · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 0

If you’re ever passing through Running Springs city, come by Keller’s Peak for some bouldering and stiff sport climbing with me! Would love to introduce the area to more people and restore its glory on the map since it’s been kind of tucked away recently.

Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 290

This brings back memories, I climbed there once in the early 90’s and put up a route called Gravitational Humiliation.  Haven’t been back since.  

What grade? What’s the nearest campsite is it at?

Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 290
Aynur Altom wrote: What grade? What’s the nearest campsite is it at?

I didn’t even know there was a campground up there.  The route we did is on the overhanging wall or overhung wall?   5.11 I think. 

Randy · · Lassitude 33 · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 1,509
Kevin Mokracek wrote:

I didn’t even know there was a campground up there.  The route we did is on the overhanging wall or overhung wall?   5.11 I think. 

Yes, a good route too, on the Overhung Wall. The best Keller Peak routes are found there. 30 feet from the road and much shorter drive than Holcomb, though only a limited number of routes and nothing too easy.

There are campsites nearby Hungover Wall. Holcolm is such a treasure too:)

alex carey · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 215

that place is always on my list, i've been worried about coming out on a friday night, are the sites usually filled up by then? Would i more likely need to come out thursday night to guarantee a site? 

Around this time, it’s pretty empty no matter what day of the week. I go their every weekend to climb and haven’t had a problem with congestion

haha, imagine thats the case now, i was more thinking in september/october when the weather is perfect. 

Sean · · Oak Park, CA · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 2,868

the 9 Kellar Peak roadside campsites are usu packed by Fri afternoon for wknds in summer and early fall, mostly by nonclimbers.  used to be able to snag a site around mid-day on a wkday, but had seen sites all full even during the wk this past summer.  could be due to the unfortunate closure of some main forest roads that span btwn Green Valley Lake and Big Bear North Shore, as in many of those forest road campsites ended up being inaccessible and prompted more people to jam into the Kellar Peak sites.  will see if that improves back to normal next summer when and if those damaged forest roads re-open

just the info i was looking for. 

Michael Lagueux · · San Diego, CA · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 331

I've been to Keller Peak a few times lately, and it's super fun.  Hangover Wall has plenty to keep me busy!  And it's been fun to find some of the other smaller crags around.  

Aynur, did we meet a month of so ago?  My friend Matt and I were climbing at Hangover Wall and met a local climber there, maybe it was you?

Perhaps! When should we climb again? 

claudio ricardez · · ESCONDIDO · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 55

Dinosaur rock is really cool too. Has some easier cracks. From hungover wall you hike about 1/4 mile down the canyon, you can see the crag from the top of hungover wall . Probably barely any one ever there.

Fan Yang · · San Diego · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 139

I'd love to come check it out some time. How is it in the winter?

Bret Warner · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

How is the bouldering there? My most common climbing partner is my 6 yr old son so I do a lot more bouldering than anything else. I’ve just never heard of bouldering at Keller Peak. I only live about 40 minutes down the hill. 

jellybean · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 0

The road is closed for winter. 

You can still hike in but it’s difficult and long:(

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "Keller’s Sport and Bouldering"