Mountain Project Logo

Wichita Mountains December ‘19

Original Post
Rone Taylor · · Haslett, TX · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 11

Looking for some folks to climb over a weekend this coming December in Wichita Mountains. I’m out of Fort Worth and none of the gym peeps climb trad. I’ve got a double rack down to 0.5 up to 3 (camalot), a few small cams and a set of nuts, Hit me up!

David Cannon · · Wichita Falls, TX · Joined 6 days ago · Points: 0

Sorry for the short notice. Just saw your post. I’m heading to the Narrows tomorrow AM. Looking at your tick list, I’d probably slow you down. I usually rope solo 5.8 and below. If you see a short guy on the Zoo Wall or Leaning Tower climbing alone that’s probably me. Happy to belay, etc., if you make it there. 

What’s up David,
Im not necessarily looking to climb hard, just looking for some fellow trad climbers in the Wichita Mtns community. We can climb sport too. 
I can’t make it tomorrow but I’m targeting the December 21st/22nd to get out there.

Oh ok. The refuge was closed to hiking and climbing today for an elk hunt. It’s closed until Friday. I ended up climbing at Crab Eyes instead. I’ll probably be in Colorado on the dates you mentioned, but if my plans change, I’ll let you know in case you still need a second or third. 

Chuck D · · Dallas, TX · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 25

There's a surprisingly large community of trad climbers in DFW (most based out of Summit Dallas/Plano gyms) and there are atleast 2 or 3 groups from Dallas in the Wichita's every weekend.  The local AAC chapter is very active and is a good place to meet people to climb with so I'd recommend looking into that.

David: Actually had to push the date to the next weekend, December 28th and 29th, if you’re interested.

Chuck: Summit Grapevine is my “home” gym and I have yet to meet but 3 people for trad. Sounds like I need to skulk around Plano more often. I’ll hit up the local AAC Facebook as well - thanks for the tip!

I’ll have to check with my boss (wife) to see when we’re planning to get back into town. If it doesn’t work out, maybe I’ll see you at the Plano or Grapevine gyms. 

Chuck D · · Dallas, TX · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 25
Rone Taylor wrote: 
Chuck: Summit Grapevine is my “home” gym and I have yet to meet but 3 people for trad. Sounds like I need to skulk around Plano more often. I’ll hit up the local AAC Facebook as well - thanks for the tip!

There are actually a lot of really good trad climbers out of that gym also, although you probably wouldn't know (people don't show up to the gym with a rack).  I will definitely say that there are a lower percentage of trad climbers compared to sport climbers than other places, but you'd be surprised. 

It's also hard to meet good partners in the gym in my experience. If you have a rack and know how to lead, just grab whoever you climb with at the gym and head to the Wichita's, 9/10 people you meet there are from DFW and climb at Summit, and then you already know they can trad climb.

Thanks Chuck.

We’re going to Wichita Mountains January 4th&5th as long as the weather’s decent.

Alex R · · Golden · Joined May 2015 · Points: 30

I'm going to be in Lawton visiting family from the 26th through about the 2nd if anyone is looking for a partner that week.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Wichita Mountains December ‘19"