Mountain Project Logo

There is no excuse for posting a new route/boulder/area without a picture.

Original Post
316 SS Wedgie · · Nowhere in This Timeline · Joined Oct 2019 · Points: 64

Damn near everyone has a phone with a camera. I don't care if its pixelated to all hell post a picture if you're going to share a climbing resource on the site. To not do so is incredibly lazy and in my opinion, a picture of said climbing resource should be a requirement. Your 2 sentence description about the gray rock in the woods between 2 trees is not acceptable. I'm so damn tired of clicking on an area or climb just to be greeted by, at best, a sentence or two.

M Cat · · Hell · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 1,562

One of my friends still has a flip phone and takes pictures with an iPad... you know who u r

Wiled Horse · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2002 · Points: 3,669

There's no excuse why you can't use your real name

Brian · · North Kingstown, RI · Joined Sep 2001 · Points: 804

I see that you have zero contributions.  Where are your photos?

Randy Von Zee · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 19,118

I look forward to the next wave of groundbreaking insights and commandments you will come up with after your second 18-day period of using the site.

Bryce Adamson · · Burlington, CT · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 1,392
Meow Sherwood wrote: One of my friends still has a flip phone and takes pictures with an iPad... you know who u r

And even I manage to get pics of new lines, lol...

Wilburn · · Boise, ID · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 386

There's no excuse to declare that people ought to be punished for inconveniencing you slightly.  

Dylan Pike · · Knoxville, TN · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 488

OP comes off as abrasive and demanding, but they are right. Surely you took a photo to spray on instagram about your wild adventure on that V4 boulder. You can upload that here too along with your 4 word description....

Bill Schick · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2019 · Points: 0

I agree with OP - it's not entitlement - it degrades the work of others on the site - to selfishly claim a route under your name then half-ass the job of presenting it.

Shay Subramanian · · Denver, CO · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

It's just literally no extra effort, no one doesn't have a phone. There really should be at least one picture of the damn wall or the boulder on the page. "Walk up to the obvious pine tree" is not a helpful description in a pine forest.

EDIT: Also, it's dumb to say people can't recognize problems if they're beginners. It doesn't take 10 years of climbing to know that looking for a specific boulder in a boulderfield for an hour is a waste of time especially when it's so easy to just...not have that happen by raising standards?

Jackson Reich · · FARMINGTON · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 360

I have got to say I agree with mr. wedgie because it is really annoying when there is a climb with no beta on how to get there or climb it 

Marc H · · Longmont, CO · Joined May 2007 · Points: 265

There is no excuse for posting in the wrong forum.

The description of this forum is, "Climbing-related topics that don't fit elsewhere. Non-climbing related posts go in Community forum!"

If not here then where should it have been posted señor off topic?

Jamison Knowlton · · Gloucester, MA · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 1,739

While I see the point of the OP, it does come off very abrasive. I certainly post pictures when putting a new route up, but a lot of areas were put up years ago. I talked to the person who put up most of the stuff around my area about vague descriptions and no photos. Mainly the descriptions because at the time they were put up not every one had a decent camera phone. He made the point that he had to go rummage through the forest for hours to try to find some of these blocks and then establish them.  Where’s your sense of adventure? Isn’t part of the fun finding new boulders? I certainly agree, what’s the point of a good boulder problem if no one can climb it? But a little vagueness only adds to the mystique. Believe me it gets frustrating, I’ve been combing the same woods for years trying to document climbs with photos. If your looking for perfect photos and descriptions of the routes, perhaps the gym would be a better spot. Just my opinion. 

I was wondering how long it would take for the classic, "stay in the gym" comment. Cheers to you Jamison Knowlton. Clocked in at just about an hour.

Sam Skovgaard · · Port Angeles, WA · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 208

While we're on the subject, when you post pics of the line, use MP's truly wonderful interface which let's you overlay a yellow line for the route, x's for bolts, down arrows for walk-off path, etc.

Jamison Knowlton · · Gloucester, MA · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 1,739
316 SS Wedgie wrote: I was wondering how long it would take for the classic, "stay in the gym" comment. Cheers to you Jamison Knowlton. Clocked in at just about an hour.

There was a lot more substance to my comment than just that, but get what you want out of it. 

Leron · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 1,141

If MP would let us add routes from the app while out of data service to be uploaded later, we could even use the phones GPS to pinpoint the route we are on.  That would be crazy though as it would be too easy. It is much better to climb 30+ boulder problems during a trip and then try to remember where they all are 3 days latter when you get back in service. Hope you all take great notes on paper for use in uploading days latter.  

Jeff Luton · · It's complicated · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 5

Can’t help but agree. Didn’t realize how helpful just a picture and an overlay are until I moved again. Really saves you a lot of time when you go to a new crag

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349

I hate it when people post up photos of beautiful stuff - then wont tell ya where it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A dirt road runs right next to it.   
Still a project!  

Right Jamison Knowlton. The substance was essentially, "I agree, vague descriptions and no pictures are frustrating, but we should all have to suffer this because I like struggling to find boulders that have already been climbed. stay in the gym". No I do not consider bushwacking for hours to find a boulder with two poorly described lines on it adventure.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "There is no excuse for posting a new route/boul…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started