Mountain Project Logo

PSA: Thieves in the Valley

Mounir F · · San Diego, CA · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 135
George M wrote: professional sociologists, psychologists
hahaha
Zay Redux · · Mariposa · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 36

Woa guys, I litterally just got un-banned...

Cosmiccragsman AKA Dwain · · Las Vegas, Nevada · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 106

Maybe it was a temp ban Zay.

Someone up thread said the resident artist, (You?) was doing the Lost Arrow tip.
Did you see Devin anywhere around?

Zay Redux · · Mariposa · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 36
This post violated Guideline #1 and has been removed.
Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,241
Robert S wrote:

I'm not disagreeing with your larger point, but it's well known that most shoplifters have the money for what they steal on them. They steal because they're cheap or because they get a thrill from it.


I used to shoplift alcohol because I was underage. 

It was intoxicating!
Jeremy R · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 25
Just because a study is published in a well respected journal does not mean that the data weren't manipulated to say whatever the author wanted to it say.... 

Actually, being published in a well respected journal means the data weren't manipulated to say whatever the author wanted it to say. But, after such a ridiculous response you posted, I'm sure the nuances of peer-reviewed publication are lost on you.
Alicia Sokolowski · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,195
Jeremy R wrote:
Actually, being published in a well respected journal means the data weren't manipulated to say whatever the author wanted it to say. But, after such a ridiculous response you posted, I'm sure the nuances of peer-reviewed publication are lost on you.

Not always 

http://www.longwood.edu/news/2013/researchers-sometimes-manipulate-data/

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp1512330

https://www.google.com/amp/s/arstechnica.com/science/2017/04/107-cancer-papers-retracted-due-to-peer-review-fraud/%3famp=1
patto · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 25
Jeremy R wrote:
Actually, being published in a well respected journal means the data weren't manipulated to say whatever the author wanted it to say. But, after such a ridiculous response you posted, I'm sure the nuances of peer-reviewed publication are lost on you.

I think the nuance of peer-reviewed system are lost on you.  If you believe that the current peer review system is open, honest and reviewed thoroughly then you have bought the BS they are selling.

A peer reviewed source is likely more reliable than a random guy in the pub.  But that doesn't mean that it is necessarily accurate or unbiased.

Mounir F · · San Diego, CA · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 135
patto wrote:

I think the nuance of peer-reviewed system are lost on you.  If you believe that the current peer review system is open, honest and reviewed thoroughly then you have bought the BS they are selling.

A peer reviewed source is likely more reliable than a random guy in the pub.  But that doesn't mean that it is necessarily accurate or unbiased.

This. Also, anyone interested should look up the article “Why most published researching findings are false”

M Mobes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 910

Mtn proj- debunking science one thread at a time!

Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 10

Just got back from 5 days freezing my ass of in a deer stand.

The studies quoted didn't seem to be based on things that actually happened, just what people were self reporting...and if there is one thing I know for sure, is that people lie a lot, especially about things that are embarrassing.

A study that used data from people who were actually caught shoplifting would be more accurate.

Noah R · · Burlington, VT · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 0
Buck Rio wrote: Just got back from 5 days freezing my ass of in a deer stand.

Any luck?

Christopher Smaling · · Yosemite, CA · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 10

As far as thieves in the valley go: it's a regular occurrence.  I've had shit jacked from a bag on route, I've had shit dissapear around shady partners, and I've heard of some wild stories involving entire racks gone missing.  People that aren't locals are the main perpetrators, but I've also heard of surprisingly well respected members of the local community bootying things best left un bootied.

Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 10

Two of our party of three got deer.

I shot this one as an act of mercy...his brain was showing. I usually hold out for a bigger deer, or shoot a doe for the meat, but this poor guy was not going to make it through the winter...

Noah R · · Burlington, VT · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 0
Buck Rio wrote: Two of our party of three got deer.

I shot this one as an act of mercy...his brain was showing. I usually hold out for a bigger deer, or shoot a doe for the meat, but this poor guy was not going to make it through the winter...

Well done. I respect that decision. 

Jack Nugent · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2018 · Points: 5
Scott E wrote: Some guys last week also had a bunch of stashed gear get stolen from the base of Lost in America. Very specific things though and not the whole rack so it was definitely a climber. You have to be a pretty sleezy climber to steal from a stashed haul bag at the base of El Cap.  

Same thing happened to me at the base of the nose this weekend

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "PSA: Thieves in the Valley"

Log In to Reply