Mountain Project Logo

Donations to the ASCA matched all of November!

Original Post
Greg Barnes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 1,829

Planet Granite, Earth Treks, and Movement gyms are matching all donations up to $20,000 through the end of November!

The American Safe Climbing Association is a tiny non-profit that supplies top-quality hardware for bolt replacement nationwide. Formed in 1998 in Yosemite and rapidly expanding across the whole country (plus U.S. climber-developed routes in Mexico and Thailand), we help local climbers and groups get long-lasting modern hardware to upgrade old degraded anchors!

Please donate during November!
www.safeclimbing.org - the “Make a Donation” button in the upper right corner.

Help us replace sketchy old rusty hardware!

Halfway through replacing an anchor...which would you rather clip?

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,115
Greg Barnes wrote: Planet Granite and Earth Treks gyms are matching all donations up to $20,000 through the end of November!

The American Safe Climbing Association is a tiny non-profit that supplies top-quality hardware for bolt replacement nationwide. Formed in 1998 in Yosemite and rapidly expanding across the whole country (plus U.S. climber-developed routes in Mexico and Thailand), we help local climbers and groups get long-lasting modern hardware to upgrade old degraded anchors!

Please donate during November!
www.safeclimbing.org - the “Make a Donation” button in the upper right corner.

Help us replace sketchy old rusty hardware!

Halfway through replacing an anchor...which would you rather clip?

The one that is camoflaged! Bright shiny is bad, here. But thanks for the reminder! ;-)

Is this match through the gyms, or any donation from anyone to ASCA? I do support these guys, all of us should.

Best, Helen

All donations, not just through the gyms!

Don't worry about that anchor, it's on a multipitch in Tuolumne, and the crystals reflect light so you can't spot bolt hangers from a distance - even when you really want to! The ASCA supplies loads of camouflaged hangers for areas where they are needed.

Here's an example of a camouflaged anchor replaced recently with ASCA hardware:

That's on Monument Creek Pinnacle, Grand Canyon.
Bobby Hutton · · Gold Country CA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 854

Just sent a little bit your way. Keep up the great work Greg!

Nkane 1 · · Berkeley, CA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 109

Done.

Hobo Greg · · My Van · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 200

$20.

Hobo Greg · · My Van · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 200
Greg Barnes wrote: 
Don't worry about that anchor, it's on a multipitch in Tuolumne, and the crystals reflect light so you can't spot bolt hangers from a distance - even when you really want to!

Man if that aint the truest thing I've ever heard about the meadows.

Justin Peacock · · Concord, CA · Joined May 2005 · Points: 5

Bump. Pony up, people!

Thanks to Earth Treks for giving back in such a big way.  

Greg Davis · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 10

If you could get some of those tuolumne hangers to come with a battery powered LED...

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,115

Bump. Like ^ said, pony up, peeps!

Hey, maybe edit in a link, Greg? The things work if you just add an enter after, usually. Save lazyasses having to copy and paste...cough, cough

Best, Helen

Tradgic Yogurt · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 55

Oh snap, thanks for the heads up!

Been meaning to donate for months now, just finally did it and plan to throw in a bit more when payday rolls around.

Thanks Helen, hadn't even noticed it wasn't auto-linked!

Matt N · · Santa Barbara, CA · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 394

I feel that this is self-serving charity -- I love clipping a burly bolt when scared, so I donate a little yearly during the match time.
If you've ever clipped one, please give a little back!

Thanks to Greg and all that the work with the ASCA for their bolts over the years!  

Tristan Burnham · · La Crescenta, CA · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 1,967

Thank you for sending me some new anchors to replace our local junk!!!  

Rob Dillon · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2002 · Points: 740

Did it! thanks Greg!

Randy · · Lassitude 33 · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 1,509

ASCA is awesome and deserves support from all climbers.

Thanks everyone! Nice work Tristan, those washer-chains are annoying!

Speaking of washers...check out this beauty from Pinnacles in California!

Thanks to Bruce Hildenbrand for the photo! It also shows a 3/8 x 3.5" stainless Power-Bolt, the standard bolt for hand drilling in certain softer rock (Pinnacles is Wilderness and power drills are prohibited).
David Gibbs · · Ottawa, ON · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2

I don't climb in that area too often, but have a few times, so I threw $20 your way, as I approve of better bolts.

David Gibbs wrote: I don't climb in that area too often, but have a few times, so I threw $20 your way, as I approve of better bolts.

Thanks for the donation! And which area - U.S., Thailand, and Mexico? The ASCA has provided hardware for replacement in Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania,  South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia, and Wyoming, as well as major titanium rebolting in Thailand, and some replacement in El Potrero Chico and other crags in Mexico.

Brian Prince · · reno, nv · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 2,324

Thanks for all the hardware, Greg!

David Gibbs · · Ottawa, ON · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2
Greg Barnes wrote:

Thanks for the donation! And which area - U.S., Thailand, and Mexico? The ASCA has provided hardware for replacement in Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania,  South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia, and Wyoming, as well as major titanium rebolting in Thailand, and some replacement in El Potrero Chico and other crags in Mexico.

I'm Canadian -- so most of my climbing is in Canada.  In the last year, places there may have been ASCA bolts would be EPC, and Rumney.  I've also climbed at the 'Gunks, but I don't figure there's a lot of bolting going on there.  (I've also probably spent a couple thousand on bolts and anchors in my local area, hm, or maybe more actually.  And many many hours hanging on a rope cleaning climbs, too.)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Donations to the ASCA matched all of November!"