Mountain Project Logo

Giving Up Vegetables

Original Post
James Weiss · · Houston, TX · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 94

In 2012 I went vegan. That lasted for about a year then I was back to meat. A turning point was hearing a talk on Weston A. Price on traditional diets. I had an answer for everything, but I didn't have an answer for why there have about no historical accounts of a vegan culture. So a day later I broke my veganism with some eggs. Next day salmon. Following with a cow's heart. I figured if we are intended to eat meat, and if I were ever to kill a cow myself for food, I wouldn't just eat the muscle and waste all the prized 'organ meats.'

So years continued on and I was still on the meat. I experimented with various ways of eating, but one thing that I continued from my vegan days was a huge salad. I'm talking huge. Because I do intermittent fasting and I skip breakfast, my salad was always the first meal of the day. I couldn't help but notice as time went on, that salad was bigger and bigger. Eventually I started adding eggs to it. Then chicken. But still large amounts of roughage.  

For the most part my health has always been great. But the last few years I started realizing my sleep was becoming inconsistent. Some days good, some days awful. Never really that great. I also noticed days I went outside and climbed, I slept better. I figured sun light was the biggest player in this (vitamin D). But those were also the days I never prepared a huge salad. I've done everything to have consistent sleep such as getting rid of caffeine, eliminating screen time before bed, supplementation, avoiding alcohol, etc., but generally speaking nothing was dramatic. I guess I was just getting old at the current age of 36. 

And then about two months ago I found myself at a community garden in Colorado. I walked by a patch of kale and grabbed a piece. It tasted pretty awful as I expected, only if I was conditioned to believe it was food would I believe it to be any different than the grass I was walking on. So it was there I began questioning the existence of traditional diets of kale eaters. How many eat salads with copious amounts of veggies from various parts of the world? Probably just people in the last 100 years if I were to guess.

So after having attacked every food group, I'm attacking the one all across the board we all believe are healthy....vegetables. Those same vegetables that no kid ever likes, that taste bitter, but rabbits love.  

I've already gone about a week without my daily salad, that salad filled with vegetable leaves that aren't nutrient dense, basically a huge ball of fiber than depletes more nutrients than it gives. And as of late I've been sleeping better. So if there is someone out there reading this that has been chewing on a stalk of celery or gnawing on a head of broccoli, contemplating your life's existence, there is hope.

Ben VanderStouw · · Rochester, NY · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 85

0/10

*Edited for lower score

abe r · · Boise, ID · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 55

ya lets blame vegetables for you not sleeping well.  that makes sense.

Without dousing us all too hard with spray, I've been a vegetarian for years now.  You know what ultimately makes people sleep better.....being active.

Dave K · · San Diego · Joined Jul 2019 · Points: 0

What is your position on tomatoes?

Andrew Rational · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 10

Sounds like you’ld be interested in my Intuitive Inuit Diet Plan©️. Subscriptions are cheap*,  if you sign up now, or you can just buy the book and step-by-step guide for the low price of $1,200. PM me for details.

*some sourcing issues may occur. Market Price on muktuk is notoriously volatile.

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,540

Andy Novak · · Bailey, CO · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 370

Yer gunna die

Brandon Fields · · Boulder · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 500

Maybe try eating softer dark greens (baby greens) and massage them. Better yet, braise them. The only salad that will leach nutrients from you is copious amounts of conventional iceberg lettuce.
Try starting a food/activity journal and make quantifiable observations about what you’re eating and how it affects you instead of trying to figure it out based on memory alone.
Everyone’s digestion is different. I rarely eat raw greens such as kale, chard and spinach without massaging  them beforehand because it causes my digestion to slow down.
Play with quantity and preparation of your veg before cutting it out entirely.
I’m sure I’d be having a hard time with everything if I were slamming fistfuls of raw broccoli and kale down my throat all the time too, but cutting out veggies entirely for that reason is like stopping putting oil in your car because you’ve been filling it with the wrong kind up until now.

Robert S · · Driftwood, TX · Joined Sep 2018 · Points: 391

Cool story, bro.

amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 20

Long Ranger · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 331
And then about two months ago I found myself at a community garden in Colorado. I walked by a patch of kale and grabbed a piece. It tasted pretty awful as I expected, only if I was conditioned to believe it was food would I believe it to be any different than the grass I was walking on.
Now tell me about the time you passed a chicken, picked it up, and bit off its wing!
Fan Yang · · San Diego · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 138

what is your position on the avocado diet?

gtluke · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2012 · Points: 1

vegetables are poisonous. we've bred most of the poison out of most of the vegatables we eat but there's still some remaining.
Are there really any vegetables one can forage from nature? (mushrooms are not plants). Maybe some spices and shit but without domestication I'm pretty sure eating vegetables is basically impossible.
https://www.foxnews.com/story/woman-ends-up-in-coma-after-overdosing-on-bok-choy (bok choy is just a different breed of kale/broccoli/cabbage/brussel sprouts, they are all the same exact species just a different breed, created from some inedible swamp cabbage)
I love brussel sprouts but I'm also aware that the fruits and vegetables we eat are artificially man made like the incredible hulk. Same with the meats we eat too, and since market hunting has been banned in the US for a hundred years there really isn't a choice on that. Pork is pretty close to natural. GUESS I SHOULD JUST BE ON A 100% FISH DIET if I want to be natural. Which I don't. 

Ben VanderStouw · · Rochester, NY · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 85
gtluke wrote: vegetables are poisonous. we've bred most of the poison out of most of the vegatables we eat but there's still some remaining.
Are there really any vegetables one can forage from nature? (mushrooms are not plants).

In the Northeast alone, all wild onions, raspberries, black raspberries, quince, ostrich fern fiddleheads, Japanese knotweed, serviceberry, trout Lily, dandelion, wood sorrel, etc etc etc.

Erick Valler · · flat midwest · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 20
Ben VanderStouw wrote: 1/10

That’s being generous 

gtluke · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2012 · Points: 1
Ben VanderStouw wrote:

In the Northeast alone, all wild onions, raspberries, black raspberries, quince, ostrich fern fiddleheads, Japanese knotweed, serviceberry, trout Lily, dandelion, wood sorrel, etc etc etc.

raspberries! yeah. But really could you survive on this stuff? Like mostly it's only available for a month or two at a time. Never seen a trout lily, I'll keep my eyes open.

Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 10

We're all gonna die bro.

Eat/drink what you want in moderation and you'll be OK.

Stay away from hydrogenated oils though, for real those will kill you.

Veggies these days have been engineered to stand up to shipping, at the expense of nutritional value and taste. If you don't get enough of what your body demands nutritionally, it will remain hungry.

Jim Amidon · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2001 · Points: 880

I'm on an IPA diet....

Jonathan Brown · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Mar 2019 · Points: 0
Buck Rio · · MN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 10
Jim Amidon wrote: I'm on an IPA diet....

Yeah, I had to stop drinking beer, it was getting in the way of my whisky drinking.... 

But I refuse to drink Tin Cup because of their stupid commercial...
Matt Hostetler · · Oakland, CA · Joined May 2016 · Points: 116
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Giving Up Vegetables"