Mountain Project Logo

Bouldering near Boston after snow

Original Post
Xi Yin · · Cambridge, MA/traveling · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 145

I rarely boulder outdoors and feel that I need to step up my game this winter. Please recommend boulder problems/areas within 2 hours drive from Boston that are suitable (easy to clean) a day after snow, preferably in the V4-V6 range.

Mike Collins · · Northampton, MA · Joined May 2013 · Points: 35

Lincoln woods is good in the winter and has a lot in the range you're looking for 

Matthew F · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 5

Hammond pond and lynn woods are also options for you.   I'm not a huge fan of hammond pond, but it is very close to Boston.  I haven't been to lynn woods myself.  Lincoln woods is pretty rad and has great problems in the v4-6 range.  

John Goodlander · · Portsmouth, NH · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 390

South Mountain at Pawtuckaway has a bunch of stuff that's south facing. The tree cover isn't very dense up there either. I'd guess it would be pretty quick to melt / dry after snow.

malnuboy · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 60

Within the grade range you asked about, the SitDown area at Lincoln Woods would be good for a session or two. I'm not sure what direction the boulders face but either way I would have to think the Pedestal Boulder would dry off rather quickly.

Jamison Knowlton · · Gloucester, MA · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 1,282

Plenty of stuff up here on Cape Ann, I boulder outdoors year round if you ever wanna get out. You looking for gym V4-6? Because basically everything out here is super sandbagged. Outdoor V2s can feel like indoor V4

Xi Yin · · Cambridge, MA/traveling · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 145
Jamison Knowlton wrote: Plenty of stuff up here on Cape Ann, I boulder outdoors year round if you ever wanna get out. You looking for gym V4-6? Because basically everything out here is super sandbagged. Outdoor V2s can feel like indoor V4

I have bouldered V0 in J tree that feels like gym V6, so I am fully aware of the fluctuation of bouldering grades and how gym grades are totally irrelevant. :)  I am looking for boulder problems comparable to crux moves of 5.12+/13- sport climbs.

dave custer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 1,402

Rumney has some sunny bouldering; stuff that faces south can get plenty of sun.
For example:  https://www.mountainproject.com/photo/107074273/mike-shoveling-out-a-problem-during-the-early-season

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Bouldering near Boston after snow"