Mountain Project Logo

Guidebook DIY??

Original Post
Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,115

I like paper guidebooks, but, they aren't always all that sturdy. Our local one is paperback, we took it to the Kinko's and had it spiral bound. That, made it much less likely to have pages fluttering off downriver. But, I'm now where pages are taped to each other, that have come loose anyway. I scribble notes in my books, so I want to keep them as long as possible.

I'm guessing many of you also hang on to paper as long as you can. What have you done to keep your favorite guidebooks going?

Best, Helen

John L · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 175

I have had good success with getting a good scanner and converting it to a .pdf/digital version. Universities usually have a pretty good scanner. You could then try and re-print the guidebook on some sturdier paper or something, maybe something sort of laminated? I mention this as the Lander area guidebooks seem to be laminated, or something, making them slightly more resistant to tears. I am assuming you can't get a new copy.

Anthony L · · Central Washington · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 0

I stopped bringing my guidebook in my backpack.  I just take pictures of the areas I'm going to be climbing and keep the book in the car.

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,115
John L wrote: I have had good success with getting a good scanner and converting it to a .pdf/digital version. Universities usually have a pretty good scanner. You could then try and re-print the guidebook on some sturdier paper or something, maybe something sort of laminated? I mention this as the Lander area guidebooks seem to be laminated, or something, making them slightly more resistant to tears. I am assuming you can't get a new copy.

Yes, I can get new copies, but then I'd have to transfer all the notes. I'd not copy and print, I'd rather support the author if I go for a new copy.

I have thought about getting a local bag shop (industrial sewing, gym bags etc) to do a zip binder for it, sized just right. Pricey, but I think it would work great!

Mostly I thought it would be fun to see what others have done, or, how beat up their favorite books are, lol! 

Best, Helen
Gumby King · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 25

Why a guidebook when we have mountainproject?

jkjk, You should see my Erik Sloan Yosemite book... Its beat all to hell (cover is barely hanging on) and I've never taken it to the cliff because of the phone ap.

Like Anthony, I usually just take picture of the guidebook sections.  If its a longer climb and I'm worried about cell battery I'll scan/print a copy as a back up.

Kincaid Murray · · Portland, OR · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 0

I rented a bouldering guidebook at Joshua Tree Outfitters that was in a fabric zippered book cover that seemed like a good way to protect the guidebook.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Guidebook DIY??"