Mountain Project Logo

Mountaineering Mentor?

Original Post
David Staron · · Lake Oswego, OR · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 115

Anyone out there up for taking on a mountaineering protege this year? I've been climbing for 3 1/2 years and working my way up longer and harder hikes for the last year and 1/2. Hoping to make some summits this year and would definitely prefer to go along with someone more experienced than myself. Thank you!

Roots · · Wherever I am · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 20

David if you were only a young, hot female and your title read: "I'm a Complete Newbie to Mountaineering - help!"....then you'd have guys falling all over themselves to help you.

Mark A · · Golden, CO · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 91
Roots wrote: David if you were only a young, hot female and your title read: "I'm a Complete Newbie to Mountaineering - help!"....then you'd have guys falling all over themselves to help you.

Asking for a mentor != asking for advice....

F Loyd · · Kennewick, WA · Joined Mar 2018 · Points: 532

Oh, your a dude.*stops sucking in gut and smiling*
Washington has some great lower end mountaineering groups to get your foot in the door,  I've heard of some in Oregon but don't know specifically who runs them. Just gotta search for them.
It makes alot more sense to go out with a group to see if it's what you really want to do, than search and find a goat dad that invests time in you then you say "nah, not for me".
Also, some partners finder posts specifically mention future ascents. Just message those guys and eventually someone will invite you along so you can gain hands on experience. 

Alex Milton · · Portland, OR · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

Check out the chemeketans - more chill than the mazamas and their basic climbing class doesn't take 6 friggin months to teach a bunch of systems you already know.

I'd also be down to go practice skills with you as this will be my first mountain season. I'm no mentor but i can push you off a slope to practice self arrest. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "Mountaineering Mentor?"