Mountain Project Logo

A polite booty story

Original Post
Hobo Greg · · My Van · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 200

Met some nice folks the other day in Echo Cove, JT. They asked for route recommendations, and I overheard one say “too bad we had to leave that gear.” Apparently they were walking out of there with three quick draws all on the first bolt of three different climbs. I offered to get em down as I was already rigging anchors there that day (practice for work). Two I was able to grab from the same anchor with a bunch of running and swinging. I promptly returned those two.

And then I went up and got the third one for me.

Now, am I an asshole? Partially. Let’s say 33.3%. But they were gonna just leave all three draws! A 100% asshole would have said “shucks that’s part of the game” and waited for them to leave and grab all three. Instead I did a good deed, told them they can just leave a single biner next time, and said “google the Texas rope trick but don’t fuck it up either”

caughtinside · · Oakland CA · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 1,450

-golf clap-

Matt N · · Santa Barbara, CA · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 389
Andrew W · · Concord, NH · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 625

Nah, you did them a solid. Like the time you found that entire rack on Fote Hog and for it back to owners, didn’t they reward you with a cam?

When are you making it back out to the east coast Greg?! We gotta get on some slab!

M Jarmland · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 0

Way nicer than that guy who offered to lead and then dropped the rope and disappeared with the entire rack..

What happened to that thread? Can’t find it. Was it a true story?

M Mobes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 910

You didn't get their # and address? Shame on you!

On a side note, I'd love to see a video of them leaving each one. I'd bet none of the draws were whipped on.

Cpn Dunsel · · Over There, But Well Hidden · Joined Jan 2003 · Points: 135
M Jarmland wrote: Way nicer than that guy who offered to lead and then dropped the rope and disappeared with the entire rack..

What happened to that thread? Can’t find it. Was it a true story?

George C Parker strikes again.

Julian H · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 5

A true hobo would never return free booty.  You need to change your name ^_^

Last weekend I found a stopper on a over bolted sport climb. So shinny it hurts  

Max R · · Bend, OR · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 235

Leaving quick draws on your first bail is a rite of passage. Let them suffer. 

alpinist 47 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

not yours...know who the owner is...return it...duh!

Briggs Lazalde · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

What u did is a very kind act with a hint of reality. And that's just the world we live in. You did good. I've retrieved 120$ worth of a friends gear from a bail and asked if my buddy who helped me could keep a small BD stopper in exchange for the gas it took us to get there. He said no and he got all his gear back but I look at him differently. I've found 4 burly lockers on top of a local climb next to an anchor that was a 12" nylon runner girth hitched to a bolt and some 5mm cord also girth hitched to a bolt. I didnt mind taking these and not posting it for lost and found given these guys had no idea what they were doing and put whoever was on the rope at risk. I've left 3 draws on an anchor of a climb and realized the next day that that was my bad and didnt ask for them back. I've got 1 cam stuck in my life and fought for 1hr  to get it back but to no avail. At that point it's up for grabs for whoever wants to take the time to earn it. Taking a small payment worth 10$ to get someone's otherwise lost gear back to them seems legit to me. Nah Hobo Greg, you are not an asshole. I commend you for what you did.

Briggs Lazalde · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0
alpinist 47 wrote: not yours...know who the owner is...return it...duh!

In this mindset I have the right to climb a hard route and save the weight of not retrieving gear as we go up. I get back to the bottom...look at alpinist 47 and tell him to please get my gear back for me if he can. If he takes it hes a dick..if he doesnt hes my errand boy.

Cron · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 55

Were they using the new josh “sport climbing” guide?

Chad Miller · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 150
Briggs Lazalde wrote:

In this mindset I have the right to climb a hard route and save the weight of not retrieving gear as we go up. I get back to the bottom...look at alpinist 47 and tell him to please get my gear back for me if he can. If he takes it hes a dick..if he doesnt hes my errand boy.

T -5

If you said please... I would get your gear back to you if I could ... I’m not a dick

He / she ?

Drederek · · Olympia, WA · Joined Mar 2004 · Points: 315

When he said 33% asshole I was sorta expecting a punchline

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "A polite booty story"