Mountain Project Logo

Solo Climbing Safety Survey - We need help!

Original Post
Climbing Project · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 15 days ago · Points: 0

We are a group of high school students trying to solve the problem of unsafe solo climbing. We can better measure the community's experience with solo climbing if you respond to this survey here: forms.gle/Q8n1WvuCCRy9rj439
If you've already responded to this survey, please share it with a rock climbing partner so we can get more responses

that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 210

Uh oh. 

Rilyn VandeMerwe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 5

I hope that this project is for lead solo devices and not a top rope auto belay set up outdoors. It may be a good idea to clarify the type of soloing you are talking about. Free solo, TR solo, Lead solo, aid solo, etc.

I've used a plethora of devices for TR solo from tied loops to grigri's to microtrax etc and there are plenty of safe options.

I've been dropped by a wren soloist and have found a grigri 2 works best for lead rope soloing. I hope that this is the direction you are going with your project as we need a better design for lead soloing.

Aid rope soloing seems to work best with a grigri on hard aid or tied loops for easy quick aiding.

Please do not bring gym autobelays to the cliff.

Also, Black Diamond worked with Alex Honnold extensively to help make Free soloing safer. youtube.com/watch?v=3MubrSX…

Sam Skovgaard · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 87

Link is broken

Michael S · · Dallas, Tx · Joined May 2019 · Points: 30

Didn't you try this survey last Thursday? It's a pretty vague questioner... and downright scary.

Not sure what info you're trying to collect for the auto belay and or why?  

Seems like you're a bunch of non climbing kids trying to figure out a non-existent better mouse trap.

Please, just don't!!

Jason Arrow · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2019 · Points: 10

As a physics teacher, I would really make sure you know the type of information you are looking for, and then design your questions to get the best info. I filled out your survey when you first posted, and mentioned the vagueness of it. I would talk with your teacher and go over the responses people posted here on the forum. Also google rock exotica silent partner and spend an hour researching what that is. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Solo Climbing Safety Survey - We need help!"