Mountain Project Logo

A Peak for Jeff Lowe?

Original Post
Ron O · · middle of nowhere, southern… · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

I was just at the peak naming ceremony for Mount Fowler and Mount Boskoff on Wilson Mesa. Apparently it is not legal to name a peak for a person in a wilderness area. It took Charlie's buddy Steve Johnson over a decade (and an act of Congress!)

Can somebody suggest a beautiful unnamed summit in northern Utah (Jeff's birthplace) not in wilderness, and maybe post a photo?

Any lawyers ready to try the task?

Hubbard · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 0

I have taken the step to name various boulders after deceased climbers who were heroes to me. It's not a whole mountain as the mighty Jeff Lowe deserves but it is easy to get done. 

PRRose · · Boulder · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 0

I don' think the problem is that it "is not legal to name a peak for a person in a wilderness area." Rather, the problem is that the US Board of Geographic Names will not approve any name for an unnamed feature in a wilderness area without a showing of an "overriding need" to name the unnamed feature. As I understand the USBGN's application of that policy, honoring an individual is not an overriding need.

There is also a USBGN policy against naming a feature for an individual until the intended honoree has been dead for five years, so an application (even if for a feature outside of a wilderness area) wouldn't even be considered before 2023.

Greg Gavin · · SLC, UT · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 781

There's a peak in the Oquirrh's names Lowe Peak.

Ron O · · middle of nowhere, southern… · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

PRRose; you know more than me. Steve (Johnson, Telluride attorney) had numerous hurdles. If his travail is typical 5 years won't be a problem.

Greg; who is it named for?

Greg Gavin · · SLC, UT · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 781

No idea Ron. It's the 2nd highest in the range, accessed most easily from Ophir Canyon, and a very popular (by Oquirrhs standards) ski tour. That's all I know.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "A Peak for Jeff Lowe?"