Mountain Project Logo

Pro for amphitheatre in Linville

Original Post
Jay Dee · · Summerville, SC · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

When climbing Good Heavens, Mummy, Daddy, and The Prow, what's the necessary rack according to most. I'm doubled through .75 but only singles from there up. I also have double red and pink tricams, nuts and off set nuts.

Good to go or do most feel the extra 1-3 should be racked?

TIA

Curtis Baird · · Johnson City, TN · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 259

Nice to have for some of the belays but I wouldn't say they are critical.

Jay Dee · · Summerville, SC · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0
Curtis Baird wrote: Nice to have for some of the belays but I wouldn't say they are critical.

And this was one of main concerns. I can run out some if need be but am concerned about anchor building. 

Curtis Baird · · Johnson City, TN · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 259
Jay Dee wrote:

And this was one of main concerns. I can run out some if need be but am concerned about anchor building. 

Personally, I bring a double rack on any completely trad route ive never been on.

Jared Chrysostom · · Charleston, SC · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 5

I have climbed Mummy/Daddy/Prow with singles 0.4-3, a full set of TCU's, DMM Torque Nuts in the sizes equivalent to 0.75-3 cams, plus a single set of nuts and some tricams. The hexes were totally usable as a replacement for double cams.

I once read a description of the pro in the Amphitheatre, which said something like "if you throw a handful of nuts at the rock, half of them will stick." Passive stuff goes a long way there.

Chuck Parks · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 2,171
Jay Dee wrote: When climbing Good Heavens, Mummy, Daddy, and The Prow, what's the necessary rack according to most. I'm doubled through .75 but only singles from there up. I also have double red and pink tricams, nuts and off set nuts.

Good to go or do most feel the extra 1-3 should be racked?

TIA

I've done all the routes you've listed, with no doubles of cams above a 0.5, and never felt anything was lacking.

Jay Dee · · Summerville, SC · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Thanks everyone 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Pro for amphitheatre in Linville"

Log In to Reply