Mountain Project Logo

New late exit permit policy for 2020!

Artem Vasilyev · · Portland, OR · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 80
John Hegyes wrote:

Absolutely. Between my partners and I, we have gotten several tickets for late exit violations over the years and they are not cheap.

Oh man. My condolences - we must have gotten lucky those few times in that case. Better to not push my luck in the future

Tony B · · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 23,387
phylp wrote:

You're right.  The 50 cents doesn't really bother me.  That was a silly thing to bitch about.  The thing that's difficult for visitors like me (I'm there about 2-4 weeks a year or so), is that I only have my cellphone to interact with the internet.  

And then there are users like me, which have no cellphone-internet interaction.  Once I'm on the road I am voice only.
So in other words, now impossible for me.
Matt N · · Santa Barbara, CA · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 384
FrankPS wrote:

You're fast! I deleted my post after I thought about it a little more. I wasn't quick enough.

I wonder how Joshua Tree handles it? One of the differences is JTNP allows backcountry camping.

Edit: And I haven't heard that J-Tree is a shitshow.

https://dirtbagdiaries.com/better-than-i-found-it/ 

As soon as there was not enough enforcement, Jtree turned into a literal shit show.  

Tony B · · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 23,387
John Hegyes wrote:

...  People laugh about the bitching about the $0.50 fee, but it is ridiculous that the government has to stoop so low as to collect such a tiny amount. It's a design fault of the website? Fix it! What used to be a free and easy phone call, now involves pulling out a credit card and typing the info in. What if someone doesn't have a card? I wonder if the fifty cent fee even covers the processing charge from the credit card company.

I've said it for years and I know it's not a popular idea, but why does the loop road close at night? Look at the Lake Mead National Recreation Area or the Spring Mountain National Recreation Area. Or Joshua Tree or Death Valley National Parks. These areas manage to stay open 24 hours a day. Some of these areas have toll-booths where you have to pay to get in and if the government doesn't want to staff them at night, then you drive right on through for free.

Go to Red Rock on November 1. The loop road will close at 5pm that day but the sun goes down at 5:45pm and it won't get dark until at least 6:15pm. They can write you a ticket while the sun is still shining and I think that is wrong.

The rules that the BLM lay down on access are pretty bad and now they are getting worse.

My guess is that the company who admins the website gets $.50/use and that there is no CC processing fee, just a %cut.  So maybe $.45 for the admin, $.05 for the CC company, and the Feds get a spreadsheet delivered and nobody has to answer the phone.  That's my guess.

As for the park hours - well, they staff 9-5 so they are open 9-5 is my guess...  They don't want to staff until sundown, so they close so as to make things enforceable, not reasonable.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275
Matt N wrote:

https://dirtbagdiaries.com/better-than-i-found-it/ 

As soon as there was not enough enforcement, Jtree turned into a literal shit show.  

Isn't this a totally different issue? "What if there was no enforcement in federal parks?" Yeah, that would be a problem.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
John Hegyes wrote:

I know there is a wide variation of jurisdictions here, but my point is that a 5pm closing time is a joke!

Oh, no argument there at all!
Consider the Gunks: private land preserve held in public trust. Their official policy is the lands close 1hr after sunset.
I agree with the other poster - it's probably a staffing issue more than anything else.

Matt N · · Santa Barbara, CA · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 384
FrankPS wrote:

Isn't this a totally different issue? "What if there was no enforcement in federal parks?" Yeah, that would be a problem.

As is, there isn't enough staffing at Jtree, even when fully funded. 

RR as pointed out, has virtually no staff that "man the park" - user fees wouldn't increase if they kept RR open 24/7, so it is highly likely that there would be near zero enforcement. Or at least an enforcement amount that was lacking such that the resource was negatively impacted. 
Weston L · · NEVADASTAN · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 851

RR has adequate LE for the management of a loop road and a handful of dirt roads in the area.  Other areas are patrolled by LVMPD and NHP, not exclusive to the BLM LE's, although the BLM LE's have jurisdiction in those areas as well.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "New late exit permit policy for 2020!"