Mountain Project Logo

The Nose in November?

Original Post
Alex Nelson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 0

I would like to climb the Nose during the week of Thanksgiving. I am a college student and the only time I have off is that week. Is that plausible? Will it be too cold? Will there be snow? I would be doing it sometime around the 22nd to 27th of November. If Tommy and Alex can do the Dawn Wall in December, I can do the Nose in November, right?

Abdullah M · · Elk Grove, CA · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

It's going to be really hard for anyone to give you a definitive answer almost 2 months out. I've never climbed el cap but I suspect the answer to all of your questions is going to be in the range of between YES and NO.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Alex Nelson wrote: I would like to climb the Nose during the week of Thanksgiving. I am a college student and the only time I have off is that week. Is that plausible? Will it be too cold? Will there be snow? I would be doing it sometime around the 22nd to 27th of November. If Tommy and Alex can do the Dawn Wall in December, I can do the Nose in November, right?

Sure. It could be fine. Of course there have been parties who have died from hypothermia during unexpected November storms.

Predicting weather now is impossible. If you decide to do it, watch the weather like a hawk, be ready to pull the plug or bail, and be prepared for full winter conditions. Also figure out which belays / bivis (unless you're planning NIAD) are subject to falling ice. And be prepared to belay on much of the descent.
levi Goldman · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 45

Stoked for you. Let us know how it goes! 

Matt Thomsen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 192

It could be great and it could suck. But, you should go for it!

People have froze to death on the Nose in October, and many people still climb it in October.

dindolino32 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 25

Comparing yourself to Tommy and Alex is pretty silly. They would romp up 3000 ft in 2 hours. I’m assuming that you are asking on a forum because you are new to big walls. Stay off the nose until you have the experience to know you can do it. The clusterfucks created on the Nose by newer aid climbers people getting on the nose needs to stop. If you know you can climb and haul a pitch in under an hour, go for it. If you THINK you can do it, go DO it first on a smaller less crowded route. Watching a video and reading forums won’t cut it.

Hayden Moore · · Dallas, TX · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 15

Tommy and Alex didn't do the Dawn Wall lmao

Matt Thomsen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 192
dindolino32 wroteThe clusterfucks created on the Nose by newer aid climbers people getting on the nose needs to stop.
i don’t think this person, even if they are a “newer” aid climber, will cause any clusterfucks on The Nose at the end of November...
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "The Nose in November?"