Mountain Project Logo

Typical Trad Rack for Linville Gorge

Original Post
Tyler Lotz · · HOLLY SPRINGS, NC · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 0

Hello!
Over the summer, I moved to North Carolina. When I moved, I immediately built a trad rack with my partner. Before I go to Linville Gorge (Table Rock), I checked Mtn. Project for climb details. In one of the comment sections, somebody mentioned a "typical trad rack for Linville Gorge". I am pretty sure I have all the gear I need, but I would like to double check. What would y'all consider a "typical trad rack for Linville Gorge""? 

Calf-lete Osborne · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 7

2 hexes, 1 ballnut, 3 tricams, a gut that carries over your belt, 2 slings, a pretense that you're better than everyone else on the mountain and the idea that your ethic is the only correct one. 

Live Perched · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 11
Calf-lete Osborne wrote: 2 hexes, 1 ballnut, 3 tricams, a gut that carries over your belt, 2 slings, a pretense that you're better than everyone else on the mountain and the idea that your ethic is the only correct one. 

Give it time young buck.  Kids today think they can get a gut anytime they want. Like they’re sold at the store.  Cowboy up and drink more. In fifteen years you’ll have one and the clear sense righteousness they endow. Weak-ass millennials get my goat every dang time!!!

Jim Urbec · · sevierville, TN · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 41

My son and I knocked out the triple at the end of the AUG, our 2nd trip down to the amphitheater, first trip was a day at table rock and a day in amphitheater.

we had and used - doubles in C4s to #3, set of nuts, tricams (black, pink, red, brown), alpine draws, QDs, and extra slings.

what we had and didn't use - Metolious TCUs, 4-00,

Bailey K · · Laramie, WY · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 30

I usually take doubles blue metolius- #1 c4, a single #2, a light set of regular nuts, and a buttload of alpine draws/slingd. Emphasis on the last part, the routes wander a good bit

Curtis Baird · · Johnson City, TN · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 344

Singles .3-3 for Table Rock is usually plenty, double that for the amphitheater. 

Russ Keane · · Asheville, NC · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 175

These questions about a rack confuse me.  Doesn't it depend on how good you are?  For table Rock you don't need a double rack, wtf!  Unless you are a brand new climber cruxing on something you shouldn't be on.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Typical Trad Rack for Linville Gorge"