Mountain Project Logo

Patagonia Insurance/Rescue

Original Post
Alasdair Fulton · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 12 days ago · Points: 0

Hi folks, we've booked flights for January to head to NE Patagonia. We're assessing insurance/rescue options.

I have some limited insurance cover via the Austrian Alpine Club, but the other guys have all taken out Global Rescue cover. Any experience with these guys?

I guess some questions are:

•  Do you have to pay for medical treatment in country (Chile)?
    • If so, how much cover is required - I have €10k which won't cover a lot...
  • Will Global Rescue be the best option should something happen (i.e. will they actually prove more useful than trying to rely on emergency services, as far as I understand, there's no "mountain rescue"/SAR outfit in Patagonia.
Any other thoughts/advice on the dull dry subject of rescue insurance? I just wanna go climbing...
Willem Braat · · The Hague · Joined Dec 2017 · Points: 0

I’ve seen some posts about this before.

I’m no expert, but checked for myself some time ago. To start for you, if I’m not mistaken your alpine club insurance probably insures you for getting you of the mountain (= rescue). Perhaps your 10k coverage is for that. Check which countries are included. This insurance could also include some common travel insurance coverage (lost bags, etc). Your health insurance (obligatory in Austria?) should cover you for emergency medical costs abroad, typically hospitalization. Don’t think it matters what the cause is and most, if not all, countries are included. The coverage typically could be on the basis of the costs of treatment in your own country. And I’m guessing here, but I think health costs in Austria are more expensive than in Chile. Check the system, private vs public hospitals could be very different than in Austria. 

Mike S · · Planet Earth · Joined Oct 2018 · Points: 15

Look into WorldNomads for travel insurance 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "Patagonia Insurance/Rescue"