Mountain Project Logo

La Sportiva G5 and Cassin Blade Runners

Original Post
Alex Fedorov · · New York City · Joined Nov 2018 · Points: 0

Anyone using that combination?  If you do any chance you could post a photo of how you fitted it to the boot? Primarily interested in that instep fitment ...
I just got the bladerunners and struggling with a good fit... of course, I have not been able to use them yet - so maybe i am overthinking it  :) 

Thank you
Alex

Mirja H · · Minneapolis, MN · Joined Dec 2018 · Points: 5

I've used the Bladerunners with the Batura 2.0s (the previous model of the G5 without the Boa and a different waterproof membrane) and I was never able to get a perfect fit. The best fit I was able to get still sometimes popped off the boot while climbing. The Petzl Lynx fits a lot better.

Bill Kirby · · San Francisco CA · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
Alex Fedorov wrote: Anyone using that combination?  If you do any chance you could post a photo of how you fitted it to the boot? Primarily interested in that instep fitment ...
I just got the bladerunners and struggling with a good fit... of course, I have not been able to use them yet - so maybe i am overthinking it  :)

Thank you
Alex

offset the front bail or switch out and use Grivel rear bails 

Bill Kirby wrote:

Do you mean those: https://www.backcountry.com/grivel-g10-at-g12-g14-heel-lever-x2  ?
Bill Kirby wrote:

Actually just set the front bail offset and i think that does it - THANK you
Brett Merlin · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 25

The Bladerunner does come in two sizes. What size Sportiva G5 are you trying to fit what size Bladerunner? A good fit should have the rear heel of the crampon squeeze the heel strike on the boot.

Chris C. · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 337

I do, it should work just fine but it was also a struggle for me to figure out how to fit them.  I found that adjusting the heel lever knob had the biggest impact in making them fit properly.  Hope that helps!

Bill Kirby · · San Francisco CA · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
Alex Fedorov wrote: Do you mean those: https://www.backcountry.com/grivel-g10-at-g12-g14-heel-lever-x2  ?

Yup those! A friend of mine switched those out on his Bladerunners after having a tough time getting his pons to fit. He’s in the LaSportiva camp and that worked great for the last two seasons.

Adam S · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 140

I have been using bladerunners on my G5s for 2 seasons and they fit just fine with no modifications at all.  My boots are size 46 and I have the larger of the 2 bladerunners sizes.

ryan Smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 5
ryan Smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 5

No problem Alex, the link i posted is to G14 heel levers which might be a little different then the Rambo heel levers i use with my blade runners, but i think they would work well, if not backcountry is great about returns. I also have a pair of G14s and as far as i can tell there is really no difference in the heel lever compared to the rambo heel lever.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Ice Climbing
Post a Reply to "La Sportiva G5 and Cassin Blade Runners"