Mountain Project Logo

DIY replacement for connect adjust rubber ring

Original Post
Martin Brzozowski · · Belleville, MI · Joined Aug 2019 · Points: 17

Hi all,

Anyone have any simple ideas for replacing the black rubber ring that comes with the connect adjust? I bought mine from some guy on ebay but he lost the rubber thing. I'm thinking like just getting some kind of O-ring or layering a shit ton of tape, any ideas?

rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 526

I don't use the rubber ring so that's one solution...

amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 20

I'd go to auto supply store to look at rubber tubing.

rgold wrote: I don't use the rubber ring so that's one solution...

Do you have any problems with it sliding around on the biner? I actually do have one but I had two connect adjusts and I sold one, never used it without the black thing

David K · · New Paltz, NY · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 145

The goal of the ring is to keep the carabiner aligned. There are a number of anti-crossloading carabiners that have the same goal, so you could use one of those.

Mei (pronounced as May) · · Bay Area, but not in SF · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 65

Been using my Connect Adjust for a few years, and I've not used the ring since day one. Never found a need for it even though I just use a regular locking carabiner.

Emil Alejandria · · Oakland, CA · Joined Jun 2019 · Points: 0

I use a half inch rubber grommet

https://tubedepot.com/products/rubber-grommets?gclid=Cj0KCQjwz8bsBRC6ARIsAEyNnvob75rhraCABHzwmp0d5WaCwA9yk8b8p6TINZWwTlSaQJ_u0ypGW30aArwMEALw_wcB

PatMas · · Tulsa, OK · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

That rubber ring is annoying, it belongs in the trash anyway.

rgold · · Poughkeepsie, NY · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 526
Martin Brzozowski wrote:

Do you have any problems with it sliding around on the biner? I actually do have one but I had two connect adjusts and I sold one, never used it without the black thing

No problems whatsoever.  The metal friction piece can, in principle, move around the carabiner, but in practice this never happens.  I honestly don't see any need for the rubber thingy.  I'd send you mine, but I have no idea what I did with it...

over thinking · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2018 · Points: 25

if u screche "REEEE" at it loud enuf it will make ur problem go aaway

Sam Skovgaard · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 92

For a similar purpose, I've used those thick black rubber bungee cords, cut a piece off and cut a hole in it.

Nick Woodman · · Saco, ME · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 1

The petzl Tanga is what you're looking for. 

over thinking wrote: if u screche "REEEE" at it loud enuf it will make ur problem go aaway

RRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERERREEREEEEEEEEEEEEE I think I should be fine without

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "DIY replacement for connect adjust rubber ring"